Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would give a small rant and I know people out there have felt my fustration as well I'm sure...

My wife's check engine light comes one (98 Honda Accord-4 banger) and I pull the code. It gives me a P0420 which I research and it means either an O2 sensor is going bad but didn't through a code or her cat is bad. So I attempt to see where I can get the cheapest O2 sensors because it's easier than replacing the cat or getting it tested. I have found 1 wire and 2 wire OEM replacements but since it's cold out and I've been busy I did not get a chance to crawl under the car and see what is currently on there. I figure I can stop by my friendly autozone store and ask them about this and they might be able to prevent me from laying on the ground and looking myself.

I stop in Autozone and tell the guy at the counter (Tall Skinny dorky guy who's badge says manager and name reads Mayor?!?) that I am looking at O2 sensors for a Honda Accord and gave him all the info. I start to ask if the OEM was 1 wire or 2 and he asks why I'm replacing them. So I tell him that the car threw this code and he cuts me off and says, "Well that's the cat and that'll cost 150 to replace." I told him that I'm not interested becasue the O2 sensor is cheaper and easier and could be the culprit but before I can finish my sentence he cuts me off again and goes on this rant how it would have thrown another code if it was an O2 sensor and it has to be thet cat.

At this point I was kind of iritated because I did not want a lecture from him and I cut him off and Yell, "Well 100 honda enthuists can't all be wrong! So shut your damn book and realize cars lie too!" Then I turn and walk out and while he is still stunned I asked him, "Who names their kid Mayor anyways" and left.

Grrrr...all I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question but now I have to register for this other webpage which I am on trial probation for 20 days (wtf?!?!) and my icon says on a big yellow sign NOOB. :lol:

But seriously, every time I go into Autozone they act like they know everything about every car. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
rylgrnGLX said:
But seriously, every time I go into Autozone they act like they know everything about every car. :banghead:
At least they know what a CAT and an O2 sensor are. The one near my house has the be the worst Autozone I've ever visited. I actually had an employee cut in front of me in line to buy a soda. (also tall dorky guy) The guy behind the register rang him up like it didn't happen. Unreal.

BTW, your response was hysterical. BTW, call him McCheese the next time you go in. :lol:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Could be coolant temperature sensor also. Did you reset it and did the P0420 come back? If you can find the plug for the O2 sensor, measure the voltage. I can't remember what you should see but I believe it should be steady and not fluctuate. If it fluctuates then replace O2 sensor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not reset her CEL but it did go off after a day and then two days later came back on. Yeah I will be able to find the plug for the o2 sensor and I did read you can check voltage to see if the sensor is going bad. Also I read that you can check the temp after and before the cat with a IR temp sensor (I know everyone has one of these laying around) and if the temp difference is >100 degrees then the cat is still good.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I forgot to mention that I had a problem with autozone on an O2 sensor also. I called the closest one about 10 miles and asked if they had the OEM sensor for a Maxima (specifically not the generic without the plug) . I could tell the guy was having trouble looking it up but finally he said yes they have it in stock. Well, I get there and a lady (I think the manager) waited on me and when see looked it up said they don't have it in stock but could have it tomorrow. I was pretty pissed and told her so since I drove out of my way that evening so I could do the job that evening. I picked one up at advance auto parts the next day on my way to play golf.

Also, I been told (never verified) that muffler shops that replace Cats can measure temperature of Cats to determine if they are bad. I assume they'll do it for free.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Haha, I emailed AutoZone twice and told them how horrible their service is in two of their local stores. And I advised that I will email each time until the service gets better.

My biggest gripe? There are no quick express registers. Every single time I go into either one, I get behind the hillbilly mountain Jack looking for an alternator for his 79 Ranchero. The mullet topped idiot behind the counter fumbles with a computer for a half hour trying to get a price, calls another store, and you know the rest. Last time I was there was last week, and no lie the idiot behind the counter is looking up an O ring or something, all the while a long line has formed and this worker starts cursing expletives at the computer, slamming stuff around. What RV did this guy crawl out of and how did he get a job? All I wanted was to pay for was my wash, wax, and carpet cleaner and get out of there. Literally stood in line for over 15 minutes.

Does anyone remember Wheels? I worked there in high school back in the early to mid 90's as a weekend job. They had five registers and a whole separate service desk. People flowed in and out of there like water, even when one person was on register, it went quick because you didn't have to wait for BillyJoe and MarySue to order a replacement brake set for their burnt out Buick Estatewagon.

God, I hate Autozone and Advanced Auto. Why oh why can they not just have a separate express register?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
rylgrnGLX said:
I start to ask if the OEM was 1 wire or 2 and he asks why I'm replacing them.
Say "Because I want to", or, better yet, "I'm buying it for my dad". He can't argue with you if you give him no ammunition.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I never, ever, give these guys any information as to what I'm planning to do or why I'm doing it - not worth the aggravation. Make, Model, engine, and what part I need - that's it.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
pete1 said:
Say "Because I want to", or, better yet, "I'm buying it for my dad". He can't argue with you if you give him no ammunition.
Or just tell him you're making earrings for your wife and she's a wicked gearhead. She's gonna love 'em!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have to love AZ. About a week ago I went to my local AZ looking for a specific sparkplug (meaning the only suitable OEM replacement plug) for my wifes Saab. I saw on their website that they carry the plug so I figured I would give the ol' brick and mortar a try. Anyway, I go to the counter and tell the guy that Im looking for a specific sparkplug and only that sparkplug - I even give him the AZ part number. Of course, they don't have any in stock so the guy figuring I was joe-idiot starts his "gotta make a sale" questioning. He gives me some line about how some brands of plugs are marked as something different for AZ... at that point Im like "this guy is a phucking idiot". He hops on his computer ans asks me whats the year, make and model of my car. I pause for a second and tell him - "It's a 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago, did you not understand Im looking for a specific sparkplug!!??!" Then I up and left. Man these guys at AZ are thick!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Diggman30 said:
He hops on his computer ans asks me whats the year, make and model of my car. I pause for a second and tell him - "It's a 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago, did you not understand Im looking for a specific sparkplug!!??!" Then I up and left. Man these guys at AZ are thick!
rylgrnGLX said:
At this point I was kind of iritated because I did not want a lecture from him and I cut him off and Yell, "Well 100 honda enthuists can't all be wrong! So shut your damn book and realize cars lie too!" Then I turn and walk out and while he is still stunned I asked him, "Who names their kid Mayor anyways" and left.
Those two quotes had me rolling!

I agree with Rotty on the counter for people who don't need parts. I almost always have to wait for someone looking for a flux capacitor for their Delorian before I can check out with my car wash or oil. then the guy has to go out to the car to see if it is the flux capacitor that is broken. Good customer service helping with parts but I would like somebody on the register so I can get out of their quick.

I go into an AZ for a filter for my bike. If they aren't busy I usaully get someone helping me. I always tell them I need X part number and X filter and they are always asking what it is for. When I tell them what it is for they always ask me if it will fit? Duh, why would I ask for a brand and part number if it didn't?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Altair 4 said:
I never, ever, give these guys any information as to what I'm planning to do or why I'm doing it - not worth the aggravation. Make, Model, engine, and what part I need - that's it.
Same thing is true at the hardware store. I always say "I need X". They ALWAYS ask what its for. The other day I went in to buy toilet parts. I asked the guy to show me where the toilet stuff was. He led me to the aisle and then proceeded to hang around me and tell me what I needed. This just irretates me.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
^^^ This gave me a visual.

Mark: Excuse me - you in the orange apron? Can you tell me where the plumbing stuff is?

HD Worker: Yup, its two aisles over, I'll show you. What are you looking for?

Mark: Part number 4593-AAC - its a flapper kit.

HD Guy: What's it for?

Mark: So I can take a dump you moron.

***The end. Our play today has been brought to you by the good folks at Lowes.***

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Mark: Excuse me - you in the orange apron? Can you tell me where the plumbing stuff is?

***The end. Our play today has been brought to you by the good folks at Lowes.***

Now, now - Lowes would have a red vest. Depot gets the orange...

Anyway, its standard retail sales. If they can find out what you are working on, the add-on sales keep coming at you. (When I was a manager for Builders Square, you were supposed to greet customers with "What's your project today?"). Its all about the add-on sales.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
that's the problem with chain stores: non-educated people making minium wage run these places.

They are of no help most of the time -- I always do my homework when looking for parts or products before going to one.
Remember they make their money mostly on simple things like light bulbs, motor oil, cleaning supplies and stupid tacky chrome accessories -- so little technical or mechanical expertise is required, especially when they their computers to look up parts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or just tell him you're making earrings for your wife and she's a wicked gearhead. She's gonna love 'em!

That is a great one!...I was watching Gone in 60 Seconds last night and I dunno why this occured to me just then but in the scene where they were stealing the Lambo in front of the guys house who was having sex with the girl in the window, Mr. Cage was talking dirty and kissing Ms. Jolie...he was definatly talking dirty to her with major car references...For some reason I found it extra ironic last night

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok here is a funny story for you...made me think of it when I read this...My buddy works at Lowes and is the Seasonal Dept Manager and he gets some really dumb questions and out of random I called him at work to see what he was doing (first time I ever called Lowes and asked for him). He happened to pick up the phone when I called and the convo went like this:

Me: Are your snow blowers on sale?
Jeff: No
Me: Well they should because there is no snow on the ground so why aren't they on sale?
Jeff: It it still winter season and they will not be on sale till spring.
Me: Well they should be on sale because there isn't any snow on the ground!
(I could tell in his voice that he was getting iritated) So do you guys have lawn mowers for sale then?
Jeff: No sir we do not have lawn mowers for sale.
Me: Well it is winter so you should have lawn mowers and they should be on clerance, right!
Jeff: Sir lawn mowers will not be on the floor until mid march.

At this point I could tell he was really iriated and I'm suprised he did not cuss at me or just hang up. So I started randomly ranting and that is finally when he recognized my voice. But none the less it was a really funny convo and the sad part is that people like that actually call and seriously ask questions like this.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Funny this all comes up today. At least the Autozone guy tried to be competetant.

According to the guy at the auto part store here, this is a coolant temperature sensor:

Kind of OT, but are coolant temperature sensor passive sensors? Is there a way I can verify it's working with a multimeter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts