Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you did it, was it necessary to "lower" the sub-frame to remove the rear arm's bolt ?
The Haynes says that it is necessary, which means that you can't use an axle-stand ( as you normally place it under the frame).The sub-frame bolt is quite big (M12 ?) and I think has quite a high torque setting.

Also did anyone also change the link that goes from the front control arm to the anti-roll bar ? This looks like another potential source of noise/knocks.Especially as VW no longer supply this part, as it has been revised to a rubber bush like thingy !

Advice would be appreciated before I embark on the enevitable

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just use the jacks on the frame just behind the subframe bolts, you will actually need to pry the subframe down a bit to get the bolt out so there is no need to support the subframe seperately when trying to get that bolt out.

I did not change the stabilizer bar link, doesn't seem to be making noise.

Just be careful since you are putting the jacks close to the center of gravity of the car and you don't want it tipping at all.

And don't worry about it, the whole job was actually easier than I though even after reading the somewhat scary 'lower the subframe' part.

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Yes,remove the bolts on both sides and lower the subframe. I set the stands
inside the frame rail behind the standard jack points (sideways front to back).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts