Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 1.8T GLS tip wagon

started making a whooshing noise today after taking foot off gas in low gears and after sharp acceleration. Sounds like air being released from something hydraulic. Can't really hear it in tip mode.

Any ideas what might cause this?

PS: newbie...second attempt at posting this :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Its a function of the turbo. All completely normal. What you are hearing in specific is a blow off valve. And maybe even the turbo spooling up. A turbo just takes exhaust gas to spin a turbine which spins an impeller creating a higher pressure of incoming air which means more air.. more air means more fuel can be burned and this is a way to increase output of a given capacity; just squeeze more combustibles into it.

No fear. After spirited driving I would recommend to let the turbo cool. Let it idle for a minute or two .. depending on how long and hard you were running the turbo.

Peace!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I thought that the 1.8t had a DV not a BOV. This noise should not occure unless there is a leak with a DV (diverter valve) the DV puts the excess air back into the turbo to keep it spooled up, a BOV lets the air off into the atmosphere.

Not completly sure, but i think a lot of people go to a BOV for the sound because 1.8t does not have it stock :???:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For the lack of others chiming in, let it be known that the whoosh is typical of a turbo. Beit the turbo itself spooling up or one of the components of the turbo system, the turbo makes the whoosh.

If you believe this is not normal behavior, and perhaps instead of the woosh you are hearing a psssst .. then you may have a leaky hose. If you are under warranty, go for it .. take it in to the dealer and get it checked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hear the noise as well on my 04. Asked service about it when I had the car in for a minor problem and was told ot was a normal sound.

Funny thing though I never heard it on the 01.5 or the 98 I had before this. My 01.5 made a whistling turbo noise (not the one described in this thread) on quick acceleration but my 04 doesn't.

·
Registered
615 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
I thought that the 1.8t had a DV not a BOV. This noise should not occure unless there is a leak with a DV (diverter valve) the DV puts the excess air back into the turbo to keep it spooled up, a BOV lets the air off into the atmosphere.

Not completly sure, but i think a lot of people go to a BOV for the sound because 1.8t does not have it stock :???:
True, while the 1.8T comes stock with a diverter valve, and not a blow-off valve, the DV can still be heard while coming off the gas from hard acceleration, though not all the time.

You might want to check for leaking or cracked hoses, but if you find absolutely nothing, chances are it's probably just a loud DV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
whooshing sound...

Watch your gas mileage and performance. if no change in either, all is well. If mileage drops 3-4 mpg below usual, you likely have a vacuum hose with a crack in it. My 02 developed a cracked hose shortly after I chipped it, but since that fix (20,000 miles ago) all is well.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts