Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,144 Posts
They're not that much, i'm just going to buy a new one rather than clean it. They say its "green" because you can clean it, but it seems that the cleaner and oil you have to buy must be less "green" than just a new filter. Plus I want every bit of that 1-4 hp gain! :)

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Be careful when cleaning it. Buy two filters, use one, then swap in the second filter when you clean the first one. You need to let the fresh oil sit for a few weeks to cure and thicken on the filter so it won't get sucked into the MAF.
A few weeks? More like a few hours. Do you really have two filters because you think it takes that long?

I've had mine for about 20,000 miles, cleaned it once a little while ago and it's cool, good investment.

· needs more cowbell
5,747 Posts
i have one, it was the first thing in my car.
i cleaned it once so far in 50k miles and still running fine.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
I have one too. Just clean it every 20k to 30k.
Make sure you purchase the K&N recharger kit, it has everything you
need to clean and recoat the filter with new oil. Just don't go
putting olive oil on it! :biglaugh:

Remember not to over oil the filter and let it sit overnight before
putting it back in. I do this, plus I put it in a bag and spin it around
a few times just to get rid of a little extra oil. you hvae to be careful.
You want oil on it, but not so much that it kills your MAFS.

· Banned
8,943 Posts
A few weeks? More like a few hours. Do you really have two filters because you think it takes that long?

I've had mine for about 20,000 miles, cleaned it once a little while ago and it's cool, good investment.
We've been through this before, you and I. Yes, it takes weeks for the oil to cure. I'm not talking about letting it soak in, I'm talking about letting the esters evaporate. All oils do this over time, that's what makes oil-based paint "dry out" even though there's no water in it to start with.

If you didn't fuck up your MAF by putting a re-oiled K&N filter into your car after letting it sit for a couple of hours, then you are a lucky member of a small minority.

· Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
15,828 Posts
i used to use them.
no difference with paper or K&N.
i like paper now.
K&N is sitting in the garage.

as long as you dont over oil it you will never have a problem.
i have had a b5 and b5.5 and not one problem with K&N installed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.