Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a few videos on youtube, and it seems like very simple job. Each turbo has 2 bearings and 4(?) seals.
rebuild kits are pretty cheap.
I bought a dead 04 Passat today 1.8T and getting ready to fight it.:lol:
Where to download service manual?

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
I replied to your thread in the n00b tube with the answer on service manual, but in case you didn't look:

They come up for sale on the classifieds once in awhile, but people tend to hold onto them. Due to it being like the Passat bible so to speak.

Bentley Publishers is the company that makes them, they have hard copies and downloadable ones for sale directly on their website.

Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
Hopefully you get your money back. The Bentley is definitely the thing to have for these cars. That and I'd invest in a legit VCDS cable with Ross-Tech software. If you can't swing the whole software, they offer VCDS-lite for free.

Ross-Tech: Home

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,304 Posts
He didn't buy anything. He's hoping one of us has a manual in PDF format.

I don't. But the junkyard near my parents house has tons of Passats.. they let you have the manuals if you want them.

·
I break for old people
7,516 Posts
Not that I'm a stickler for obeying the law, and I could be wrong, but I think it might be (illegal)/ against Bentley's policy to share downloaded manuals. Due to you have to buy licenses and whatnot from them. I could be wrong, as I don't know how that works, I have the hard copy.

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,304 Posts
Bentley. Oh I thought from his other thread he wanted the owners manual.

Whatever, he'll buy what he needs like the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
But back to the original question: Rebuilding the turbo is only worthwhile if the shaft is in perfect condition, there has been no mechanical contact between the compressor or turbine wheels and housing, and the wastegate flapper is in good shape. As the turbo runs up to around 150K RPM, care in handling and assembly is critical. However, it's no 20 minute job, not if done properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As regards to a service manual . I just went thru this and the CD ROM specs for the service manual said it only good through windows xp which is ancient history as far as computers go . I looked on eBay as well as amazon and found one Vw Passat Service Manual 1998-2005covering 1.8 turbo 2.8 4.0 including wagon and 4 motion there used for $60 in good condition

·
Registered
125 Posts
ylwagon is correct in that it is only worth while if the turbine shaft is in good condition.
One thing to absolutely be careful on is that you mark the orientation of the compressor wheel and compressor nut in relation to the turbine.
Take a sharpie and mark all 3. This insures the balance of the three main components is unchanged. Normally you would balance the shaft with the two thrust collar in place too but you will be replacing it in the kit(unless you get a minor kit) and don't have the ability to balance it, unless you mail it in to be balanced. I believe those services do exist.
The ko3 has only one bearing so be sure you have the right kit there.
As for seals there is a turbine piston ring and a backing plate piston ring. The space where the piston ring sits on the turbine has to be inspected to check if there is wear. As does the backing plate. Obviously if there is wear they need to be replaced($$$)
The kit will also have the thrust bearing, two different retaining clips and probably the oil splash shield.

If you let me know if you have any questions, as I have rebuilt hundreds of turbos :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for info!
How long does it take?
About manual:
I paid, got link and downloaded a good professional manual in PDF, not Bently.

·
Registered
125 Posts
about 30 min if the turbine housing and bearing housing separate easily. Possibly a lot longer, and needing to apply heat along with various curse words if it doesn't.

·
Registered
812 Posts
about 30 min if the turbine housing and bearing housing separate easily. Possibly a lot longer, and needing to apply heat along with various curse words if it doesn't.
I can understand you taking 30 minutes to rebuild a turbo after rebuilding so many of them, but someone doing it for the first time, it better take longer than that. OP, no need to rush it, take your time and make sure you do it right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts