Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a DVD player to my '03 Variant's Monsoon system but I don't want to go the FM modulator route. I know that PIE, Blitzsafe and Soundgate offer cables to turn the CD changer port on the Monsoon HU into an RCA type connection to hookup aftermarket CD changers, MP3 players, DVD players, etc. Unfortunately, they eliminate the ability to use a factory changer, or in my case my PhatBox, in the process. I saw on PIE's website they offer this new device called the X3 which will allow you to hookup three RCA type devices while maintaining the factory changer in the process at the press of a remote button that comes with the unit. They offer this unit for VW's but when you click on the cable the VW uses, it states it is not compatibly with Premium VI systems which mine is (I believe, it's the Monsoon with CD/Cass Double DIN). This info was dated 9/03. Anyone know if this PIE X3 will now work with the Premium VI systems? Does Blitzsafe or Soundgate offer anything similar?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
xJO98 said:
I want to add a DVD player to my '03 Variant's Monsoon system but I don't want to go the FM modulator route. I know that PIE, Blitzsafe and Soundgate offer cables to turn the CD changer port on the Monsoon HU into an RCA type connection to hookup aftermarket CD changers, MP3 players, DVD players, etc. Unfortunately, they eliminate the ability to use a factory changer, or in my case my PhatBox, in the process. I saw on PIE's website they offer this new device called the X3 which will allow you to hookup three RCA type devices while maintaining the factory changer in the process at the press of a remote button that comes with the unit. They offer this unit for VW's but when you click on the cable the VW uses, it states it is not compatibly with Premium VI systems which mine is (I believe, it's the Monsoon with CD/Cass Double DIN). This info was dated 9/03. Anyone know if this PIE X3 will now work with the Premium VI systems? Does Blitzsafe or Soundgate offer anything similar?
The PIE X3 is the only solution available, and as you know, the cable they supply only works with single DIN units. The X3 is electrically compatible and if you cut up the cable and install the right plug, it will hook up just fine. I have actually done this. It works.

If you want more info, just ask. I might have one for sale, but I am negotiating with another person right now. If that sale goes through, I can still help you make this work though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. I'm thinking of calling PIE tomorrow just to make sure they haven't got a double din cable yet. Nothing ever works out the way I need it to!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
xJO98 said:
I was afraid of that. I'm thinking of calling PIE tomorrow just to make sure they haven't got a double din cable yet. Nothing ever works out the way I need it to!
They don't. You should try anyway if for no other reason to show there is some interest.

I'll send you a PM about the cable I have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to Soundgate (they have a docking station that is similar to PIE X3) and emailed (and received a reply) PIE and neither offer a cable for the double DIN and don't seem to care. I asked the applications guy at Soundgate if they will be making one anytime soon and he said "no ETA on that one" and had a serious "don't give a shit attitude" about it. The short and unhelpful email response I got back from PIE makes me wonder if both companies offered the same charm school to their people.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
xJO98 said:
I talked to Soundgate (they have a docking station that is similar to PIE X3) and emailed (and received a reply) PIE and neither offer a cable for the double DIN and don't seem to care. I asked the applications guy at Soundgate if they will be making one anytime soon and he said "no ETA on that one" and had a serious "don't give a shit attitude" about it. The short and unhelpful email response I got back from PIE makes me wonder if both companies offered the same charm school to their people.
I called soundgate myself and they were less than helpful. I didn't call PIE because I was working with logjamelectronics.com, which sells PIE, and they did the leg work. Nice and prompt folks.

The reason no one has a Double DIN harness is that they cannot source the female 12 pin recepticle. The male and female are available for the single DIN radio (since its just Blaupunkt) and the male is available for the 12 pin. Tooling to create an injection molded part is really expensive and it may never happen.

You are creating a "unique" installation and you must be creative. It might require slicing up your cd changer harness, which I normally wouldn't recommend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Double-din adapter

Are you selling a cable which will allow the use of the PIE X3 with a Monsoon Double-din unit w/phatbox or cd changer? I would be willing to pay for such an adapter.

Thanks,

Joseph

Mr_Mike said:
The PIE X3 is the only solution available, and as you know, the cable they supply only works with single DIN units. The X3 is electrically compatible and if you cut up the cable and install the right plug, it will hook up just fine. I have actually done this. It works.

If you want more info, just ask. I might have one for sale, but I am negotiating with another person right now. If that sale goes through, I can still help you make this work though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts