Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your curiosity.

Check out the ultimate MOD on the EBay: 2464844954.

Unbelievable! People will sell anything! Flip of the switch 5-10 HP and better than an underpulley. Maybe I should get both then I'll get 15 - 20 HP.

VROOOOooooooommmmmmm!!! :D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hahahaha, thats so sad :lol: :crazy:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe people actually pay for this stuff. They must be completely auto-ignorant.

Want to have some fun? Try a search for "used socks". Oh My God! People will buy anything! I saw a sandwich one time.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Haha, he has the concept down at least... though he doesn't quite have accurate information. Last time I checked its the spinning of the underdrive pulley that causes the HP loss, now the fact that an alternator is connected to it. Disconnecting your alternator isn't going to do anything other than make your battery work its ass off :crazy:.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
LOL! Well, Mustangs used a system like this in the GTs for years. A thottle switch would disconnect the alternator when you got on it, but I have not seen that system used for a while.

The concept is similar to the A/C clutch being released at full throttle to drop the drag it has when passing, etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But who has an alternator clutch? All systems that I know are direct drive so killing any power to it would be useless because your still spinning the rotor.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, it would disconnect the primary lead on the alternator. Modern alternators use current to generate a magnetic field that is used to generate electricity, and that causes a lot of resistance. By preventing the magnetic field, you drop that resistance. It does not take much at all to spin an alternator without any resistance in it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Modern alternators use current to generate a magnetic field that is used to generate electricity, and that causes a lot of resistance. By preventing the magnetic field,
AAAhhhhh.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts