Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed here (no results on a topic title search) but here it goes... In cold weather climates (say 32f or below) who lets their car "warm up" in the morning before driving off. And if so, how long? As I recall this is a topic of some debate. My 02 1.8T owners manual says "To avoid unnecessary engine wear... do not let your vehicle stand and warm up. Be ready to drive off immediately after starting your vehicle." (3.1 p102). I have really never let it warm up in the past but recently have done so on a few (0)f mornings. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I do exactly what the manual states but i dont over rev the engine till its warm. We usually get - 15 C weather here in TO. The first few mins of the engine running is rough but it smooths out when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
blueinmichigan said:
I......I have really never let it warm up in the past but recently have done so on a few (0)f mornings. Any thoughts?
Me too. Before moving to KC, I never warmed the car, but I have to now sometimes just to get the windows clear.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I usually warm my car. when I start the car the it usually at 12,000 RPM and when it dips below 10,000 ( about a minute) then she's ready to go.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I don't either, even when it hit 0 degree F. I start the car, buckle my seat belt, check my mirrors, and then put it in gear and go. I won't call it a warm up, but the engine runs maybe 15 - 20 seconds before going. At really cold temps, my engine doesn't rev up that high.

I don't rev over 3,000 rpm until the temp gauge has been at operating temp (190) for about 8 or 10 minutes (partially because my drive doesn't allow me and partially because I want the oil to be warm).

Adcam: You need to knock a zero off of each of your rpm numbers (unless you are driving a F-1 car). :wink:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
adcam said:
I usually warm my car. when I start the car the it usually at 12,000 RPM and when it dips below 10,000 ( about a minute) then she's ready to go.
Wow, I think that my engine would explode if it was revving that high! :lol: :lol:

That 1200 rpm idle is the cold-start program helping your engine warm up faster while driving. While sitting in the driveway, it won't help any, and you'll just be using fuel. :) It was designed to just be driven off, so might as well do what the engineers want you to. 8)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
When it's in the winter I let my car warm up with my remote start. I trigger it anything within 15 minutes timeframe before I go out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting... most so far seem to be in the same camp as I, start up, get organized and go. A co-worker of mine also has an 02 1.8t and he lets his warm up 5-10 minutes before starting off each morning. I didn't consider the remote starter issue... I guess thats why some people have those installed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
BTW I got a V6... I warm the car up in terms of the interior for the sake of not freezing my butt when I get into the car... Less of thinking towards the engine aspect... I have to admit I'm not the person most caring for the engine or whatsoever... I just want comfort...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
HKPassat said:
BTW I got a V6... I warm the car up in terms of the interior for the sake of not freezing my butt when I get into the car...
That's what seat heaters are for! :wink:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I will usaully let it warm up to where the temp gauge for the engine moves up a little before taking off when it is below 45 degrees outside...

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
blueinmichigan said:
Interesting... most so far seem to be in the same camp as I, start up, get organized and go. A co-worker of mine also has an 02 1.8t and he lets his warm up 5-10 minutes before starting off each morning. I didn't consider the remote starter issue... I guess thats why some people have those installed.

My neighbour has one of those on his V8 truck.
I mean hell we live in Florida but the a-hole still starts the thing up at 6:30 every weekday morning and lets it 'warm up' for 15 mins before going to work.
Sure beats the hell out of an alarm clock..

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Actually VW strongly recommends that we don't 'warm' up our cars. Instead they recommend that you drive off as quickly as possible after starting our cars but be gentle for the first minute or two.

I usually wait up to 1 minute and drive off when the secondary air pump cuts off. Typically 45 seconds after startup.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts