Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I thought I would see what the braintrust here had to say about this!

I'm going to start looking into running a web server out of our office vs. paying for hosting through someone as we are right now. I was hoping someone might know some details about doing such a thing!

Basically, I would likely run a Mac OS X server, a G4 or an Xserve, and we would host our own company website on it, and I would probably use it as a mail server as well.

Some of the info I'm looking for is:

Do you connect the server to the Internet through our existing DSL service, or would we need to obtain different service?

Do you have to pay someone to do "serving" (for lack of a better term), or is having your domain registered, having existing Internet service, etc. enough?

Am I a lunatic for even thinking of doing this?

Any advice or references you could give me would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Other than your hardware config, a simple setup could be, running on your existing DSL connection, you can register your domain about anywhere, I recommend one that has a user admin tool and you can usually use their DNS servers for a small fee per year.

I used to host my own out of my house, DSL, and my domains are primarily registered through DirectNIC.com. They charge $5/year to have their DNS servers point to your IP address. Not bad in my book.

With the DSL, I hope you have at least one static IP address otherwise it will be a headache if the IP address changes often.

Also, I have no idea how big your business is or what kind of hits you get on your site. These could play factors in the ability to host on your own. Since you would be on a shared connection if you were getting a lot of site traffic and you needed to use the internet you could see some slow down as well as the people hitting your site.

Other than the "can i do it" you really need to be sure about what platform you run on, software, and most of all, security. You don't want them slinking past your web server and into everything else.

In the end, I didn;t have enough bandwith to host RMCB5.com anymore without driving me and my roommates crazy, so I had to have it hosted. With that, I get backups and so forth. The host we use is pretty reasonable and we ave had very few issues. Uptime has been good. They have packages as low as $25/year for 300MB disk space and 8GB of transfer/month.

When you think about your own hardware and software costs and the time it takes to maintain and monitor, you might find that hosting it yourself isn't really all that and a stack of pancakes.

Anyway, these comments are from my experience. I am by no means a guru like some people here are, or like to believe they are ;). I'm sure someone else can give you some better details. Feel free to PM me if you want more detail on what setup I had and how I dealt with it. :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if you have a static IP it works fine. I think if you have dhcp, you can do dynamic dns. I am not too familar with this but I am sure someone could help me out here.

I used to run my website from my dsl (128k up) and it was soooo slow. It was only a hobby for me. I ran apache on solaris, using my sun blade 100. If you are going to run it on OS X, you could use apache. Make sure you make your /document/root directory something other than default. do something like /www/htdocs/ for your directory for all of your stuff.

ALso, setup apache to run at non-root (chroot). That way if you ever get hacked, you arent running at root. Do a google search for chroot apache "os x"
Kevin

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far!

We do already have our domain: http://surfaceusa.com It's registered and hosted through Pair (pair.com). I would probably use a DNS pointing service like dyndns.com

Right now, there's hardly anything on the site, just our logo and contact info. I've been working on the "real" site, which will have more detailed info about our shop (team info, product info/links, news, etc.). I don't anticipate having a ton of traffic, more or less just our existing customers (0<x<10,000). My own email would probably make up most of the data transfer.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
well, then maybe you dsl line might work for you, since you arn't going to get much traffic. If your traffic is anything like CB5, you are doomed...heheh :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
vwjedi
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing