Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now on ESPN Page 2 they are doing a bracket to figure out who is the best athlete in sport.

My question to you, what sport has the best athletes?

My vote is for triathalon. Physically the most demanding (distance, conditions, variety of skills needed) mentaly (focus in training and focus at the event) and competition (extremely competative, has been for a long time). Basically, I think these guys & gals are crazy. You have to be so damn tough to be able to compete in this. You are a true athlete if you are at the top of the game.

Sure, basketball players, football players even soccer players are all skilled. Just not the same level as a triathlete.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
tough to say....triathletes are certainly hard core, but I guess it depends how you define "athletic." I mean if "physically demanding" is the threshold...power lifters can do what triathletes can't...so by choosing triathletes, we sort of value endurance over short-term brute strength.

I guess I view "best athlete" as a combination of power, endurance, hand/eye, foot/eye etc. coordination.

Soccer players are pretty powerful, with endurance and skill......but then again...they'd look foolish if batting at the plate against Pedro Martinez! :wink:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hard to argue with the NBA. Strength, endurance and speed.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
I'd agree that triathletes are great on the endurance side. But I would argue that the most difficult thing to do in any sport is to hit a round baseball, travelling at almost 100 mph, with a round bat. Who is a greater athlete will be a tough decision because you are comparing apples to oranges. However, when you combine endurance, skill, difficulty, and pain into the mix, I would argue that physical contact sports are tougher. I would say that Boxing (maybe Kickboxing) and Water Polo are the toughest sports in the world. Water Polo is like Australian Rules Football in an 8' deep swimming pool. So I guess I would vote for Mark Allen, Roy Jones, Jr., and Tony Azevedo.

Oh and Lance Armstrong is not the World's Greatest Athlete. Lance is a God. :bow:

·
Registered
181 Posts
not to brag, but i can hit a 100mph fastball, and i dont consider myself all that badass (although I was 2nd team all state). I'd throw baseball out as being a sport all together. Anything you can do while drinking or smoking is not a sport. baseball players spend most of the time at "rest". they are hardly moving, rarely hustle, and even still are only active for a few seconds. my vote is for soccer/nba athlete.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I seem to remember 20 years ago (before triathlons were anything but a novelty) motocross drivers were voted the most in shape athletes. Seemed strange to me but then again I've never done it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So many incredible athletes out there, hard to say :p Triatheletes (especially the ones that can do the Ironman!) are in SICK shape physically, but obviously most of them can't compete in other professional sports like soccer and basketball or football... I think the toughest sports would be Water polo, soccer, and basketball...Not only do you need physical strength, but endurance and excellent coordination.

not to brag, but i can hit a 100mph fastball, and i dont consider myself all that badass (although I was 2nd team all state). I'd throw baseball out as being a sport all together. Anything you can do while drinking or smoking is not a sport. baseball players spend most of the time at "rest". they are hardly moving, rarely hustle, and even still are only active for a few seconds.
LOL :lol: I always thought that of baseball, but I sure as hell can't hit a baseball that is moving that fast, nor throw one anywhere near that fast, definitely need good coordination to be able to hit / field that lil baseball!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basketball? ?!?! You guys are on crack.

Let me put it in perspective... can a Basketball player go out and play a game on back to back nights? How about 4 games a week? Sure.... they do it all the time. We all expect it right? On top of these 4 games a week, they booz it up in between games, sleep with their "girlfriends" in as many cities, get fucked up on drugs, etc...

However, do you think that a triathlete could do 4 triathalons in one week? No. They couldn't. Not because they are a bunch of week people. But because doing a tri is so much harder than playing a baseketball game. There are no time outs in a triathalon. There are no substitutions. There is no half time. There is no multi-million dollar contracts.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
:suspicio: why has there been no mention of hockey players...
Sure, i am from canada so obviously i have to bring this up. Hockey players on average lose 5-6 pounds a game, they have to skate, stick handle (if baseball is so bad ass becuase of hand and eye co-ordination, then hockey is every more bad ass for that reason), they are constantly taking huge checks with now calls, and the stratedgy is just as exceptional as basketball soccer or football. :p

Hockey players get my vote... and it's not because of my bias. :wink:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Any multi-eventer (tri, deca, etc.) will kick anyone else's ass in this. Although there are many NBA, NFL'ers that have been good in many sports, just had to chose one--which limits them in this "award".

Boxers are always in outstanding shape, but that doesn't mean they're the best athletes. Lance Armstrong is hard core, too.

Who's on the list?

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I would say the best athletes if we are going by training, conditioning, and mental/physical stress are 400M runners, wrestlers, and long distance swimmers.

400M runners literally go into shock after a run. Most demanding run on body in terms of stress on system.
Wrestlers are in unbelievable shape to go 6 minutes using every muscle avaliable at full speed. Mentally, it is probably one of the most demanding sports. Also, it is one of the hardest sports to master and be competitive in.
Long distance swimmers use almost every muscle in their body and have to be in incredible cardiovascular conditioning. I can run 5 miles easily. I have trouble swimming a 1/2 mile without dying.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Triatheletes are in great SHAPE.. true but it says nothing about hand eye coordination and fine motor control. I'd vote Biathalon before tri. I'd vote for those people that do the survival challenge before tham too. They do hundreds of mile sin all conditions ove a span of days, mountain climbing, running, swimming, canoeing etc...

Basketball is a tough game combining all of the various types of athletic skill but requires less endurance. Soccer players I guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts