Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been screwing around with investments for the last few years. Doing good in some and horrible in others. Anyone taking the risk with public offering of google? I have talked to my advisor and have decided that while it is risky as shit, I want in. I also took shares of sisco, didnt buy the ranch, but I am young and can deal with losing. So, who here works in securities etc. I also have diversification with leggmason. So these other investments are all in. If I lose, it all goes, if I gain, well,I am going to the bmw store to hollar at an m3 after a year so I don't get taxed. So, can someone tell me that they are in sisco and google so that I don't lose any more sleep. -Sam

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I couldn't just buy it. I told my advisor what I wanted and then he deals with it. If I get it, I'll see what happens, if not, maybe it's better.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Well since advertisers have figured out how to manipulate the Google search/rank methods and Gmail is coming under fire, I wouldn't buy the stock. It's already got that tainted smell of failed IPO on it. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I still can't figure out what their competitive advantage is over some of the other search engines. I mean they get some stuff Yahoo doesn't and vice versa ... plus who actually looks at the advertising on the site?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, lucent and cisco are good, too. I am looking at short term stuff right now. More for gamble and speculation than long term steady growth. I have been talking to my advisor about some options for this.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Are you going to be able to get any? IPOs are usually for the very rich investors.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gig103 said:
Are you going to be able to get any? IPOs are usually for the very rich investors.
I have no idea. I am not rich by any means. I work as a public archaeologist and a subsitute teacher. I think my advisor is setting some funds aside for me so that I can have a shot. :???:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Rule #1: buy low sell high.

Google is doing extremely well and there's a lot of hype in their stock offering, so I wouldn't go for it.
But then again the stock market could be unpredictable.

·
Registered
525 Posts
BigSwirv said:
I still can't figure out what their competitive advantage is over some of the other search engines. I mean they get some stuff Yahoo doesn't and vice versa ... plus who actually looks at the advertising on the site?
Their competitive advantage is massive-scale distributed computing technology. Because of this, it costs them less to do the same things as their competitors, and they have the potential to add new features that might be cost-prohibitive for others.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
aowhaus said:
Rule #1: buy low sell high.
Rule #1.0000001: Rule #1 is almost impossible to do well enough to beat the short-term tax consequences, so diversify, diversify, diversify instead.

Ask yourself if you really have sufficient wealth to create a diverse portfolio from individual stocks. Most investors do not.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
IMHO, I think it's gonna shoot up initially, like if you got it at the opening price, it'll probably triple or something in that day. After that, I don't see it doing very well. As everyone else said, it's not the greatest search engine, it could become another dot-com disaster, and a lot of it could just be a buncha hype.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kiyoshi said:
IMHO, I think it's gonna shoot up initially, like if you got it at the opening price, it'll probably triple or something in that day. After that, I don't see it doing very well. As everyone else said, it's not the greatest search engine, it could become another dot-com disaster, and a lot of it could just be a buncha hype.
true, and if you dont hold for a year, you get taxed hard.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I like Google, and think they have a good thing going. I worry a bit about MS actually saying that Google is their next target (search, anyway), so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. If MS decides to buy out google, their stock could go through the roof, or you could end up with a pile of MS stock, which isn't a bad thing, even if it's evil.

I'm alot more interested in what the heck a public archaeologist is. :???: :thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I got a degree from the Universityn of Montana and then did some work in the Virgin Islands (Roadtown, Tortola, Cinnamon Bay, St. John and on Anegada). I moved back to Maine and have been substitute teaching. and workingon prerequisites for an MBA program. Although I may get certified for teaching as well.

I catalog artifacts and do cultural resource management for Professional Archaeologists and the USVI National Park as well as the British Dept of the Interior. So, if a hotel or business or whatever wants to construct something, I excavate and make sure there aren't any artifacts or useful information which could designate that site as significant for pre columbian material culture. Also, I helped out on a survey of the sunken island of Anegada BVI, the only Virgin Island that is not volcanic and has a bedrock of coral. The island is famous for their conchshell mounds on its east end which the crew excavated. We dug through over six feet of conch shells. The reason being the fact that Native Americans extracted the conch shell in a different manner than the Taino's who first inhabited the Caribbean.

I don't want to get a doctorate degree in archaeology, so I just work as a teacher three days a week and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday among other odd jobs. I go back down to USVI in mid June and will work and relax. I have lots of friends throughout the Caribbean and would one day like to move there, preferably the BVI. I would like to try my shot at investments to better that chance. I am also a hard worker so I don't want to sound like some lazy ass who wants to get something for nothing when an IPO comes out and retire or something crazy like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
wheresjim
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing