Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Koni V1's are what I'm looking at... first off, are they adjustable? That's the main one. Well, not really, but....

Jeff, I know you also have a lowered W8 in PA, but with V2's. Are they lower?

Anyone in PA, could you tell me how you've been with a lower car? Like damage, bottoming out, pothole trouble, etc.

People with Koni V1's... how much do they lower? And what is the clearance height from the ground to the botoom of the front fender?

And where is the most relaible, cheapest place to buy Koni's. And, also, is coil-over installation a DIY job?

THANKS! :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I dont live in Pgh anymore, but my car still takes many a trip out there. I have H&R Sports (about 1.75 drop) with the adjustable Bilstiens on the lower perch. It sucks. I hate driving in that city. Going in and around Oakland is next to impossible, I have to go soooo slow to make sure I dont hit the jack points on the car. Its a bitch. I would not go for more than the 1B3 setup in pgh.
But, yes, springs and shocks are DIY provided you have some basic know-how and some tools and a lot of patiance. Check out the info fourm for the instructions. Let me know if I can help you any more.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
oye, dont get me wrong I LOVE Pittsburgh, i was born and raised there.

I went out there last weekend to visit my dad and my g/f...... the roads in pgh are AWFUL!
i'm lowered on eibach springs/koni shocks...but my whip bottomed out like every 20 mins over there. i never have that problem here in nj.

my car isn't that low too click my website button to see it.

hope it works out for Yin's :lol:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't LIVE in Pittsburgh, so at least I don't have to deal with that crap (a once-rural Pittsburgh suburb, thats where I live...). I concur, the roads in Pittsburgh SUCK!

Anyone with coilovers, could you tell me the clearance height?

Thanks, all who replied. :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if you are talking about the KW v1's, yes they are adjustable, but only in height. they have to be lower than stock, but there is a very good range of motion. you can adjust the shocks out of their proper range, you thearetically ou can run with a higher car than stock, but will be hurting the shocks and springs, and not getting the best performance out of them while shortening their life.

I ran it lowered for about a year now and i have no problems in the snow, philly, the city, or the curvy suburban roads :D in deeper snow the bottom of my car did rub, but didn't take off my belly pan or hurt anything. i did lower my car so that i have to go in and out of driveways with one wheel first so i dont hit my front end, and go slowly over speed bumps, but you dont have to run your car as low as mine and still be within the proper opporating range for the coilovers.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not going that low... and will probably only re-adjust the height to maybe 1/2" below stock (if it'll do that) for winter driving.

Now, you have the V2's, don't you Jeff? Is the height range the same on the V2's as it is on the V1's? And what advantages/disadvantages do the V2's have over the V1's?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
O.K. I think you are confusing Koni Sport Adjustable shocks with KWSuspension's Variant 1 coilovers.

You might want to go with Variant-2 coilovers from KWSuspension or FKAutomotive's Silverline Plus. Both sets can adjust height and rebound rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.