Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Mobil 0W-40 since day one, but Im just thinking if Motul and if the price is well worth it? I heard its like "gold" some VW owners say.

I use the big bertha Mahn filters and about 5quarts of the Mobil synthetic every oil change.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
I've been using the Motul 5W-40 for something like 35K miles. It's expensive, but when you're changing the oil yourself, the total cost winds up being the same. I was about to switch to the M-1 T&SUV because of all the raves about that, but now that's cancelled...I'll be sticking with the Motul. The Delvac is a diesel formulation (?), OK for the catalytic converter?

On Mobil 1 10w-30 I'd burn about half a quart every 5K, with the Motul it's only burning about 1/10th a quart every 5K, with 107K on the engine.

I've sent the oil to Blackstone a few times and they always give it a thumbs-up. Initially they said I could easily take it to 7.5K between changes, but now they seem to be on the 5K bandwagon for this car. The last time I had a TBN done, they said it could have left it in until 5.5K.

· Registered
424 Posts
Basically Motul 300v 5W-40 is a Pure Ester based synthetic oil. Motul are one of very few companies who have 100% ester based synths.
As many of you will know Ester is one of the active ingredients in Auto-RX

SYnthetic oils with a high Ester content are proven to have a cleaning effect of engines, not unlike RX but less dramatic.

The rating for synthetic goes:

1. 100% Ester
2. PAO / Ester mix
3. PAO
4. Hydrocracked fossil base stocks

I'm by no means an expert or even knowledgable. This info is provided by an independant supplier of lubricants to some of the enthusiast sites I frequent.
(AFAIK Motul has some of the lowest profit margins at retail, so sellers have no financial benefit by suggesting it!!!!)

· Registered
5,938 Posts
My dealer used castrol syntec for my first oil change at 10k (bought the car used), since then I've gone to an indie who uses Motul 8100 5W-40. The car seems happy, though I'm not one to really notice a difference with oils. That said, I feel comfortable using the Motul. Didnt know they used a 0W-40. Thought only Mobil did that.

· Registered
2,448 Posts
Just switched to amsoil 5w-40 on my 1.8t from mobil1. Cannot compare it to motul, but I would say if you cannot get the motul very easily, try the amsoil. My engine is smoother, no tick from the head upon startup, and it runs cooler (a4 has oil temp gauge in cluster). This is all compared to mobil1 0w-40. Also, amsoil can be found for less than $6/quart.

· Registered
2,810 Posts
I just switched over to AMSOIL as well. The Mobil 1 was difficult to find in my area for some reason - they had every weight but the correct one.

I've only had the amsoil in the car for about 1500 miles so can't offer any good information as it compares to the Mobil 1 or the oil I used more frequently, the Castrol Syntec. I will be sending the oil from the first oil change in for an analysis though and will report the results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.