Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a leather steering wheel cover. What brands should I look at? I've heard of Wheelskin, any better than the one offered at pepboys?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have the Isotta - let me tell you how much of a difference it makes. It is very, very stealthy looking plus, I did the Baseball stitch which makes it look almost like some OEM wheels. The pic shows some creases but the leather has settled out now.

Oh yeah, ignore the purple airbag cover...lol. The flash did something weird to it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
im putting a real isotta MEG II wheel in mine, im using a momo hub.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hey Triumph - which cover is that - I have never seen the Isotta with the grips on the side. When did you get that? Not that I would change mine out since it took like 3 hours to install.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, stupid NDImports sent it to me, even though I ordered black. Then they said it was from their last shipset ever and they wouldn't be getting anymore in because they were dropping Isotta products. So I was stuck with it. I was none to happy about it, I would rather have black. I think the box said it was the black "sport" model.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to get this done (and my roof spoiler) this weekend cuz I've got a roadtrip next wkend. Found a Wheelskin at the nearby race shop. Its pretty plain comapred to the isotta, only one main seam, not on the 10,2,4,7 spots. I'll give myself a few hours to puts this on, cuz I gotta get it right, no slacking.
thanks for the psots.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Triumph said:
Yeah, stupid NDImports sent it to me, even though I ordered black. Then they said it was from their last shipset ever and they wouldn't be getting anymore in because they were dropping Isotta products. So I was stuck with it. I was none to happy about it, I would rather have black. I think the box said it was the black "sport" model.
That's right - I believe we exchanged IM's about that when I first installed mine. It looks great though - I like it a lot.

I looked into the Wheelskins too but I didn't like the look that much, IMO it doesn't look as stealthy as the Isotta.

·
Registered
869 Posts
RL331 said:
Triumph said:
That's right - I believe we exchanged IM's about that when I first installed mine. It looks great though - I like it a lot.

I looked into the Wheelskins too but I didn't like the look that much, IMO it doesn't look as stealthy as the Isotta.
Trade you for your black? :lol:

Actually, no I wouldn't do that. I noticed that if you loosen and restitch the threads, the leather won't return to its former stiffness. I tried doing the baseball stitch on the bottom part of mine, and it moves around on the wheel alot easier now than it did before. I didn't continue with the stitching on the rest of the wheel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the Isotta, and did the baseball stitch, thanks to RL331. I also cut off the snaps and stitched the spokes. It was a PITA, as I do not know how to stitch or sew. But it looks and feels great.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The normal stitch is just a straight stitch from hole to hole, the thread is parallel and is the way shown on the Isotta instructions. I had to buy double the thread and a curved needle in order to do the overlapping "V" similar to the stitching you see on a baseball.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts