Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the move. We use our wireless phones for all our long distance calls since we have free long distance. We just use our home phone for the occasional local call, and have cable modem for internet. Our home phone costs us about $23 a month with no features at all, just the $15 charge plus a ton of BS taxes like $6 access charge and stuff. We have very good coverage at home, and now with the recent changes we can move our home number to one of our wireless phones.

Anybody have any cons against going all wireless?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I would in a heart beat. I also have just thev ery basic of lines - about $22 per month with all the BS taxes etc.

I do have my home monitoring system tied in so I need to keep my land line. We use our cell phones for every call we make. Only time our land line is used is when the phone rings.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Meeeeee!

The only time the landline sees any action is when telemarketers call it, or when I order a pizza, chinese, or sushi. Basically, it's only there for other people to use. :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you have directv, DSL, or home security systems you'll still need a landline phone with basic service.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i went wireless 2 years ago. the only problem is that i dont have a great cell signal at my house so its hard to make/get calls, but I am rarely there anyways so its good to get a break from the madness there...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
as mrlvdub said, if you have directv/dsl/homesecurity, you really can't right now.

Too bad I have all 3.

BUT!!!!

Directv, I'm in the middle of modifying my directv/tivo receiver with a wireless card so I can get rid of that one.

DSL - I hear rumors (news articles in Yahoo! Finance) that DSL might soon be telephone free because of growing competition and pricewars. I think some midwestern company is already doing it without phone line
(cable modem/satalite is not an option for highspeed internet in my area unfortunately)

Home Security - I dunno about this one.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
mrlvdub said:
If you have directv you'll still need a landline phone with basic service.
No you don't. My DirecTV has worked just fine the past 4 years without a phone line hooked up to it. All the phone line serves is if you order pay-per view. DirecTV can say all they want about the necessity of having it hooked up but it really doesn't need to be.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just have cable tv, so no issues there. This is very tempting Has anybody tried to move their home number to a wireless phone.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Been about 2.5 years here. Never have a land line again... added my old phone to my plan for $5/month if we have a babysitter at the house.

·
Registered
803 Posts
VdubTX said:
mrlvdub said:
If you have directv you'll still need a landline phone with basic service.
No you don't. My DirecTV has worked just fine the past 4 years without a phone line hooked up to it. All the phone line serves is if you order pay-per view. DirecTV can say all they want about the necessity of having it hooked up but it really doesn't need to be.
Are firmware updates done over the satellite? I've had one d/l to my receiver once but don't remember how it was transported.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
31 Participants
redb5sdca
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing