Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Well, in the real world, we would have camber kits. But this is not reality, so we don't.

The fronts can be corrected with adjustable control arms from CPP (available through our sponsor ECS Tuning, I believe), but on the rears (FWD) we are SOL.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Just the topic I was looking for. My Eibach Pro-System has thrown off my camber and it beginning to show on the tires. I was also wondering who is running camber kits?

The only one that I have found is this: http://www.k-mac.com.au/. I recall HermanH had commented that this was a PITA to use. I hope we can get some comments in this ...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
atomicalex said:
Well, in the real world, we would have camber kits. But this is not reality, so we don't.

The fronts can be corrected with adjustable control arms from CPP (available through our sponsor ECS Tuning, I believe), but on the rears (FWD) we are SOL.
Doesn't Herman Hong have the K-Mac rear camber kit?
I could've sworn he had this, but then maybe took it out.
If you ask me our rears need it a whole lot more than the fronts.

Check it out, notice on the bottom of the page it lists the A4.
http://www.k-mac.com.au/product.htm

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Feilo said:
Just the topic I was looking for. My Eibach Pro-System has thrown off my camber and it beginning to show on the tires. I was also wondering who is running camber kits?

The only one that I have found is this: http://www.k-mac.com.au/. I recall HermanH had commented that this was a PITA to use. I hope we can get some comments in this ...
Fel,

Is your camber that bad with a pro-system installed? I remembered after having mine installed, I went to the allignment shop, had the thing alligned to 1BE specs, and the printout said the camber was right where its suppose to be.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Well, I had issues with my alignments after installing KWSuspension's Variant 3 coilovers. I noticed some inner tire wear, after about 6 months and my tuner recommended the Custom Performance Products Upper Control Arms and upgrading the tie-rod ends.

Once installed, I could actually get true Volkswagen 1BE specs for my W8 and the steering response has improved dramatically. I don't recommend using the lower control arms from CPP or their tie-rods because you would feel too much of the road. Sometimes rubber bushings serve their purpose!!

The stainless steel CPP Control Arms ran me about $685.00US from my tuner . If you live in an area which uses chemicals or salts to melt the snow or live near the ocean, the stainless steel units are for you!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
pacent said:
Fel,

Is your camber that bad with a pro-system installed? I remembered after having mine installed, I went to the allignment shop, had the thing alligned to 1BE specs, and the printout said the camber was right where its suppose to be.
Now that you mention it, you had your alignment done at Duxler in Libertyville same as me. Alignment noob that I am, I just let them "do their thing" as Rich @ Dubwerks had asked me to - I didn't know I had to mention a spec e.g. 1BE. My camber is -1.3 deg L & -1.6 deg R. What are the 1BE specs?

·
Registered
314 Posts
JDeer0618 said:
I have been told that if I want to lower my car then I will need to also put a camber kit on as well. Is this true and what are the costs?

Thanks
JD
Hot topic...I just did some research and sought input from some members who have installed the kit and I ordered mine this week.The company is called CPP. Check the web on www.customperf.com. They also list vendors who sell their kits.

Good luck,

Sam...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sorry for hijacking!

Fel,

I lost my sheet, so I cannot tell you what the exact specs were. I actually had my allignment done by them twice. The first time I had it done was about 2 weeks after I got my suspension installed. After I got my car back, I noticed that it pulled to the right. Rich drove it, and confirmed what I felt. He took the car back to Duxler and told them to reallign it (free of charge) I saw the printout from the first allignment and noticed on top that it read 1BA...so when they did my allignment the second time, I specifially asked for them to allign it to 1BE specs.

As many allignments as Duxler has done for Dubwerks, I guess they don't handle very many lowered Passats.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Colin said:
Doesn't Herman Hong have the K-Mac rear camber kit?
I could've sworn he had this, but then maybe took it out.
If you ask me our rears need it a whole lot more than the fronts.
Rear camber does not change (any meaningful amount) when lowering a FWD Passat. It's trailing arms. There's lots of static negative camber because this suspension design loses a lot of camber with roll.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Feilo said:
Sounds great if they are for real. Do you have a link to the particular webpage at rockauto.com? I can't find it ...
it is java application so I cannot link to it.
I guess you have to check you aligment first to get the proper angle set. the rear are not adjustable at all, you need to know the angle you need to order it.

I have emailed them already for more info;)

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,164 Posts
Actually the MOOG DANA/SPICER lower control arm Adjusting bolt kit may just work. (P/N K9757)

It uses the same principle that the 4Mo's rear suspension (lobed bolt) uses. Although they (two per side) should allow movement... will it be enough?

I can not imagine how the other part they list would help (the wedge).

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Keep me posted on the rear kits because I am going to need something here for the rear of my car here soon.

About the CPP Arms... I have them on my '98 Passat. My alignment was right on tarket with the 1BE settings. The ride quality is a little more harsh but worth it. They cost $599 for the "street" versions, and $695 for the "race/stainless steel" versions. www.customperf.com

HTH,
Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.