Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like all I am missing at work is a cape.

I carry around a Cell phone on a belt clip, and PDA on another. When I go out to the field to measure stuff (I'm an Engineer on a construction site) I also wear a tape measure on my belt and a clip on flashlight. This is in addition to the Steel toed shoes, Safety glasses, Hardhat with built in ear-muffs, Photo ID around my neck, and clipboard in hand.

I think all I need is the Bat shark repellent and I'm all set.

Doesn't this sound insane? But this is my daily gear.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Furiator said:

I carry around a Cell phone on a belt clip, and PDA on another. When I go out to the field to measure stuff (I'm an Engineer on a construction site) I also wear a tape measure on my belt and a clip on flashlight. This is in addition to the Steel toed shoes, Safety glasses, Hardhat with built in ear-muffs, Photo ID around my neck, and clipboard in hand.

hahah When I'm interning at a civil engineering firm during the summer and winter breaks, they occassionaly throw me into the field.... I have to chain by myself, carry everything, they even "punish" me by making me do retarded tasks.... you would think they'd treat a girl better....but NOPE! So in my tool belt, i have my pencil, hammer, tacks, guinneas, hubs, my measuring tape... I think that's it. Humph! :cry: But it's mod money and experience hehe

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
baisee00 said:
Furiator said:

hahah When I'm interning at a civil engineering firm during the summer and winter breaks, they occassionaly throw me into the field.... I have to chain by myself, carry everything, they even "punish" me by making me do retarded tasks.... you would think they'd treat a girl better....but NOPE! So in my tool belt, i have my pencil, hammer, tacks, guinneas, hubs, my measuring tape... I think that's it. Humph! :cry: But it's mod money and experience hehe
Let me tell you something, they are treating a girl better. You are learning much more by doing this than staying in the office full time.

If you decide to stay with engineering, you will be asked to do all this stuff from time to time. It's part of the job they forget to tell you at school.

Remember, they could have left you in the office, becuase you are a girl, but all that would have accomplished is you not learning, and essentially degrading you by not believing you can handle it.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Let's see...when I'm on EMS duty, I've got a key holder, radio holder, pen holder, pocket knife, CPR mask, flashlight, cell phone, trauma shears, glove pouch and my shield all on my belt. :crazy:

When I'm on ski patrol, I actually carry a pretty big waist pack that has an abdominal dressing, wrist splits, 4x4 gauze, cling, triangular bandages, CPR mask, turkey baster (for suctioning airways), plastic airways, tongue depressors, pocket knife, carabeaners (sp.?), Band-Aids, trauma shears, backup stethoscope, a fold-up aluminum blanket, a pair of neoprene gloves and an extra pair of sunglasses. :shock:

Yeah, I'm certifiable. :poke:

Andy

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
ya ya ya i know! I actually work in the office and the field and the field is definitely more fun.... in the summer tho. Winter there's too much rain so I get to gallavant around the office. I got to do some swale checks tho.... much more fun than surveying... It was a cool experience working on both ends of the spectrum, I got to take measurements out in the field and then go in the office and use those numbers to plan. I learned that guys are usually surveyors cuz they can pee anywhere! :nervous: And after a summer in the field...... I got asked the question, geez where did you go on vacation? and I said no where....surveyed ALL summer in 90 degree weather.......8 hours a day/ 5 days a week baby=nasty ass tan hahaha

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AJChenMPH said:
Let's see...when I'm on EMS duty, I've got a key holder, radio holder, pen holder, pocket knife, CPR mask, flashlight, cell phone, trauma shears, glove pouch and my shield all on my belt. :crazy:

When I'm on ski patrol, I actually carry a pretty big waist pack that has an abdominal dressing, wrist splits, 4x4 gauze, cling, triangular bandages, CPR mask, turkey baster (for suctioning airways), plastic airways, tongue depressors, pocket knife, carabeaners (sp.?), Band-Aids, trauma shears, backup stethoscope, a fold-up aluminum blanket, a pair of neoprene gloves and an extra pair of sunglasses. :shock:

Yeah, I'm certifiable. :poke:

Andy
Yeah, but you job (like Batman's) is to save lives I'm just measuring the distance from the floor to a pipe or the size of a cabinet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts