Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me a break!

It's remarkable how magically, anything that doesn't go right isn't the Bush administration's fault!

White House Blames Congress for Gas Prices
2 hours, 41 minutes ago Add Politics - AP to My Yahoo!

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE - Americans would not be paying high prices for gasoline if the Congress had passed President Bush (news - web sites)'s proposed energy package three years ago, a White House spokesman said Tuesday as the administration faced criticism from Democratic rival John Kerry (news - web sites).

AP Photo

Reuters Photo
Slideshow: President Bush

Latest headlines:
· Bush Says Wisconsin's Economy Rebounding
AP - 10 minutes ago

· Snow Reignites Fight Over Job Outsourcing
AP - 11 minutes ago

· Bush, Kerry Trade Charges on Gas Prices
Reuters - 25 minutes ago

In a thinly veiled criticism of Kerry, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said, "Some have advocated higher gas taxes. ... The president remains firmly opposed to increasing gas taxes."

The Bush campaign has accused Kerry of proposing a 50-cent a gallon gas tax increase. Kerry was quoted once as mentioning the idea but has since repudiated it.

"Bush and Cheney love making excuses and hate taking responsibility for their failed policies," said Chad Clanton, a Kerry campaign spokesman. "They have ignored this gas crisis and now it's spinning out of control. Voters have a clear choice: John Kerry, who is on the side of consumers, or Bush and Cheney, who everyone knows are on the side of oil the companies."

Kerry has called for the Bush administration to stop filling the nation's strategic petroleum reserve and divert the oil to the market until gas prices fall. The Democrat has not suggested using the supplies from the reserve to lower prices.

McClellan said the administration remained opposed to using supplies from the nation's strategic petroleum reserve as a way of trying to lower gas prices. He said independent analysts have concluded that opening the reserve would have only negligible impact.

Morever, he said, "It's important that we have the necessary resources in the event of a severe disruption of supply."

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries are to meet in Vienna on Wednesday to reconsider a planned 1 million barrel cut in production scheduled to begin this week.

McClellan said the administration has been in regular contact with major oil producing countries to stress the importance of letting the market determine the prices of oil.

"What we need are comprehensive solutions, not patchwork crisis management," the spokesman said.

"We wouldn't be in this situation right now if Congress had acted on what the president had proposed three years ago," he said.

When Bush took office, Republicans controlled both the House and Senate. By midyear, the Democrats had a narrow majority in the Senate, but the GOP was in charge in the House.

McClellan said the administration was "doing everything we can to address the issues that might contribute to rising gas prices." The administration has said it is looking for price gouging and other improper price manipulation.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It is amazing! ....Or is it a carefully honed right-wing strategy to divert attention from this administration's failed policies on most relevant issues: gas prices, economy, jobs, etc....

Now, even more amazing, they are running an outrageous TV ad saying John Kerry would raise gas prices 0.50 per gallon, costing the average family almost $700 per year!
--> Except wait... Kerry said that in a magazine *20 years ago* and never supported any such law!

Amazing!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I wouldn't care if they did. Higher prices=lower demand=demand for alternatives=no more relevent middle east, we need oil to cost ALOT more so we that collectively get off our lazy asses and demand better sooner and end our reliance on the oil cartels.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Now as far as gasoline prices go I think the U.S. gets over on the price of crued-oil. What many people fail to understand is that larger oil producing nations whom are allies of the United States have led OPEC for many years and have kept the price of oil stable without making any changes in output.

Nigeria and Venezuela get pimped not only by OPEC but by Royal Dutch Shell Co. who basically strips their GNP of profits and leaves the people screwed. Imagine being told that you cannot increase your oil production to feed your people or help get out of IMF Debt? OPEC gave allowances to Arab Nations that were in crisis to increase their exports, but not to Indonesia, Nigeria, and Venezuela! Quite a few countries dropped out of OPEC because of this issue. The last time there were slight decreases in production to increase price was when G7 Oil Taxes were increased and when smaller oil producing members of OPEC led the conglomerate. I don't have a problem paying a little bit more if it helps Nigeria or Venezuela get out of IMF Debt, but the oil companies are like a Broke Pimp on Sunday Morning. (Pissed and ready to slap ya!!)

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Didn't I say in that gas price thread about a month ago that Bush would start saying we should drill in Alaska as soon as people started saying the price of a gallon of gas was too high?

And didn't Urlik and whoever else make like I was some kind of asshole for insinuating that?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sharky said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Didn't I say in that gas price thread about a month ago that Bush would start saying we should drill in Alaska as soon as people started saying the price of a gallon of gas was too high?
Good call, Sharky.
I guess Cheney is beating that drum, too.
Hey, wouldn't that be a cozy little deal if Halliburton could be the prime contractor on that deal, too?!

btw, remember that Mr. Bush said he wasn't going to be pushed around by OPEC.....

"What I think the president ought to do," he said in January 2000 in New Hampshire, where heating oil prices were soaring, "is he ought to get on the phone with the OPEC cartel and say, 'We expect you to open your spigots!'"
Apparently Shrubie got his signals from Cheney crossed up again, and instead of telling OPEC to "Open your spigots" he said that to the richest Republican campaign donors.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is "deeply offensive and contemptible" to hear "elites and intellectuals on the campaign trail" dismiss progress in Iraq since last year's overthrow of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, the elder Bush said in a speech to the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association annual convention.
Oh, the irony.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
jhct
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing