Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last several days on cold staretup I hear a high pitched whistling sound that last for several seconds.. ( like a navy whistle) coming from the engine. I havent been able to isolate it but its either coming from the alternator/belt or secondary air pump... no codes. as anyone had a similar experience? 1.8t

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The kombi valve attached to the secondary air pump makes a whistling sound when it goes bad. I dunno why, I don't have one, I just remember reading that many, many times.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I had that happen to me, it happened when i bought the car and the guy said that iit is normal and it happened on his audi, The 6 monthes later it stops along with my secondary air pump. O ya this was many months ago and i still drive my car without the pump working and it runs perfect. Just dont expect to pass snog until it is replaced.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I had that happen to me, it happened when i bought the car and the guy said that iit is normal and it happened on his audi, The 6 monthes later it stops along with my secondary air pump. O ya this was many months ago and i still drive my car without the pump working and it runs perfect. Just dont expect to pass snog until it is replaced.
Yeah, because the engines that have it will dump way too much fuel into the cylinders when you first start the car, and then the secondary air pump shoots fresh oxygen into the rich exhaust stream so that the extra gasoline will ignite inside the catalytic converter and warm it up faster. Without the extra air, that extra gasoline just blows right out the tailpipe.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
so how do i ajust it to make it leaner
You replace the kombi valve so the secondary air pump can do its job.

The whole point of spraying too much fuel into the engine when it starts, is so the extra fuel can get mixed with the air from the secondary air pump and ignite inside the catcon. That heats up the catcon much faster than exhaust gas could. It actually reduces emissions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info...I'm going to check the valve to see if the noise is coming from there. Does any one have a paert number for a combination valve? If i remebr correclt this is an expensive part ... around $250

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'd be suprised if it is just the valve... I would (and did) replace both.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there a quick and inexpensive test to verify if that is the problem? I have been having the same problem, but thought it was a belt as well. The squealing started when it go cooler out, but is still happening. It lasts from when I start the car (03 GLX w/ 67K) in the morning, until I get about a block from my house. I also get it when I start my car in the evening, and lasts until I get out of the patking garage (about a block as well).

Also, is there a way to clean it, that would tell me if that is what it is.

BTW - Where is this valve located?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks for the info...I'm going to check the valve to see if the noise is coming from there. Does any one have a paert number for a combination valve? If i remebr correclt this is an expensive part ... around $250
My memory is that it was more like $25-35? The SAIP cost more around $250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts