Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16070928/

As a traveling salesman, Peter Gilbert has put a few miles on his car — 1,001,385 miles, to be precise.

It took the Glendale, Wisc, man 17 years to cross the million mile mark with his 1989 Saab 900 SPG. He recently donated the durable vehicle to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum after Saab verified the mileage.

The transmission was rebuilt at 200,000 miles and the hood and a few other parts replaced after eight deer collisions, but otherwise it has original equipment.

Gilbert bought the Saab for $29,000. It was his treat after a divorce, and he took meticulous care of it. He used premium, synthetic oil in oil changes, changed the tires every 45,000 miles and strictly followed the maintenance schedule.

He drove the car seven days a week, racking up the miles as his work took him through rural Wisconsin.

"When I hit 600,000 miles, the car still wasn't burning oil," Gilbert said. "That's when I thought it could go a million miles."

But Wisconsin's harsh winters took a toll on the car. Its sporty exterior still looks good, but road salt has rusted its frame. Gilbert realized it might no longer be safe if he hit another deer or had a serious accident.

"There was no point in driving the car any longer," he said. "Even though it might have gone another million miles."

He had it detailed and parked it at the Hartford museum, which houses a number of rare vehicles.

Then Gilbert bought another Saab with fewer miles.
Damn.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
and they dont have 1 pic!
that is pretty amazing to hit a # like that.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It is amazing the odometer has not failed somewhere in all those miles. Most older german cars around here lose their true miles somewhere between 200k and 300k.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milwaukee JS said:
Driving habits are important if you want a car to last for hundreds of thousands of miles.
So remember guys, hit a deer every 125,000 miles and you'll be just fine.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Purplezr2's on track then ;)

sorry, but I had to.

On topic, nearly 60k miles a year, wow.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On topic, nearly 60k miles a year, wow.
Note: Don't take what I'm going to say as a slight against anyone. It's simply an observation that I've made after talking to a few people over the years.

I find that UKers vastly underestimate the size of the US, and even individual states. I had a family friend who was going to come over for business and then take a week to "see the States". His plan was to rent a car and drive from New York to the west coast (either San Francisco or Seattle) and then back before catching a flight out the following week. When I explained to him that he was looking at 6,000 miles of driving, or something like 15-18 hours a day for six straight days, I swear I heard his jaw hit the floor. (Through email, even!)

As for 60k miles a year on the car, just from my slightly-longer-than-average commute (previous job), I logged 29,000 miles in a single 12-month span. that was working normal 5-day weeks and all that rubbish. If I were in sales and it required customer visits, I could totally understand that sort of mileage.

It's insane, but it happens.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I agree, we all bitch about Americans not knowing there's a world outside of the US but we're guilty ourselves (I'm not, the less intelligent UKers are :p)

I love the stories of 2,000 mile road trips taken as if it's a daily thing. If I drive 2,000 miles in one sitting I'll fall off the end of the country.

I appreciate the size of the US but I do tend to read things with a slightly UK jaundiced eye.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Ya I have hit about 4 in my life.
In 30 years of driving in Pennsylvania, I haven't hit one yet, although I have come close on a few occasions, and that's saying something considering some parts of the state I used to have as a territory.

(Ahh, sh!t, I think I just jinxed myself)....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
hmmm... an SPG too. A relatively high boost turbo (for OEM).

No mention of replacing the turbo either.
But not every motor built is a Saab 2.3!
My Aunts 89 SPG went about 250K on ONE oil change - she just added more as needed.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sweet! I MISS my old 9000 Turbo. It was CHERRY with EVERY saab upgrade from their exhaust, chip, wheels, etc etc. It was a BEAST and sounded amazing. FAST too. Too bad they don't hold up as good as they look today. I would LOVE a 9-3 Aero if it wasn't so unreliable...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ah heck my Passat could do that... lets see what do I need to make this happen... 17 1.8Ts, 44 Turbos, 28 new front uppers and lowers, a trailer to haul it around , oooh and a nice truck to tow it. Just kidding I had 246k and only got rid of it because I was rear ended twice in as many months :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts