Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A few days ago I noticed that the whinning sound from the engine got a little louder. I was thinking it is the turbo but not sure because the turbo made the same sound but not that loud. I hear it when I step hard on the gas and drops off quickly as I remove my foot off the pedal in drive. I cant hear it much when set on neutral even at high rev. Cant hear it either when idling.

I want to get some inputs from you guys before I take it to the shop. Im using a 2001 passat wagon B5.5 AWM engine.

Thanks

Roy

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I see the word "whining" I immediately think of power steering fluid. It just happened to me and this is what the whining was. Have you checked the fluid level? There is a proper way to check and read it (cold check/hot check), so do it right. Good luck.

PS....I hope this is all it is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When a turbo shits the bed, it sounds like a thousand dentist drills. You will not mistake the sound. Plus your car will have no power.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I had a similar sound. I was able to isolate the sound to the front end - turned out to be a bad radiator fan bearing.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
When my ko3 went (and i mean really gone) it sounded like a siren of some sort. I would get the normal hiss that a turbo makes and a higer pitched noise to go with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 71K on the car.

I will check the power steering fluid tomorrow. Thanks

I did not notice any loss in power.

Turbo2000, Im afraid the sound you are describing is similar to what I have. Altho at present the sound isnt that load as it can be drowned easily by the normal sound of the engine.

Also, I spoke with a friend of mine who is a BMW/Porsche mech and described the sound over the phone and he said a failing tensioner could give out a similar sound. Is it possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Turbo2000, Im afraid the sound you are describing is similar to what I have. Altho at present the sound isnt that load as it can be drowned easily by the normal sound of the engine.
I have an intake so my hiss is a little harder to drown out. It also may have helped amplify the noise as i only really began to hear it after the intake install.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Whenever it's cold (like today) I hear a sort of metallic hum at acceleration at low RPM, sometimes even idling at low rpm. This has been happening for the last 3 winters (possibly longer, but I was in the South the first year I owned the car). Is this a turbo issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts