Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of late, I've been hearing a soft whining sound coming from the gearbox whenever power is being applied and disappears everytime I lift off the gas pedal. Anyone have any solutions to solve this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I want to say it's fairly normal and will increase in pitch if you hold the shift knob in gear. I get the same sound. It's just the gears meshing pretty tightly. Any one else feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Isn't it a function of the straightness on the cut of the gears? The straighter cut (presumably to increase strength, which is needed in those lower gears) on the gears, the more whine you get.

I'm not positive on this, but it seems to make sense. Race gears are straight cut and whine like hell. Can anybody else confirm or deny? Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about? :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to say. Mine's a Tiptronic and the sound's more obvious in the upper gears. It is definitely the sound of gears meshing but almost as if there's too much freeplay between the pitch of the teeth. Then again, it could be the ATF I'm using.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
pkuaso
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing