Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passat is in the shop getting the timing belt/tensioner, all that related stuff, acces belts. the water pump was done on my car @ +/- 40k miles. the tech recommended that the water pump should be fine. i have 68k miles now, BTW. what other "while you're down there" type things should we be checking? we're also doing the idler roller...

thanks for the recommendations.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can't tell me i've not forgotten something?!! i would love to feel like i covered my bases but just figured while they have the thing i might as well get some maintenance taken care of.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd assess the cam shaft seals and valve cover gasket while you are in there and replace anything that looks suspect.

If you do change the water pump then change the thermostat as well while the coolant is drained.

If you're not already doing so, consider changing the tensioners and rollers for the accessory belts as well.

While the nose is off the car you will have easy access to the DV and the snub mount if you want to consider renewing or upgrading them.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
jaero said:
I'd assess the cam shaft seals and valve cover gasket while you are in there and replace anything that looks suspect..
That would be a good idea...but you really dont need the whole fron to do that....easy enough to do from the top.

jaero said:
While the nose is off the car you will have easy access to the DV and the snub mount if you want to consider renewing or upgrading them.
Thats something to consider...I was gonna say the same...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't forget that if you have the valve cover off have them look at the cam chain and cam chain tensioner. There is a plastic where plate that goes way after a little while. Also have the replace the rubber seal at the back of the head. Since their down there.

·
Registered
921 Posts
One more vote for the vacume hoses (ecs, hosetechniques.com)
a pulley change would be a nic mod at this point (ecs tunning)
also a electirc fan that has bypass the fan pulley

ohh and the coolant hoses
:roll: hmm

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the tips fellas. i think most of the hoses i'll tackle myself. the valve cover gasket he said is fine. i've got all the accessory belts being changed and respective rollers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts