Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, neither one is hazardous....yet.
Tires; I know my tires are ruined, although they are in real decent shape. I'm getting the infamous WAHWAH sound like a truck losing its retread. JustTires told me they're cupped. Due to improper alignment and/or balancing. All four gotta go. Don't forget, the tread is still quite good on them and yes, the bearings are fine.

Brakes; no noise or scraping but I'm getting the surgeing feel when I slow down. Worse if I brake harder. Kinda feels like the pads are trying to stop on a warped record if ya know what I mean.

SO, tax return gets here next week. Decision is a brembo and dust-free pads upgrade (from the group buys) all around or new rubber?
I don't feel unsafe right now. Just not sure which would crap out sooner.
Suggestions?

And oh yeah, state inspection due next month.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The rear brakes on the Passat wear faster. They're smaller, and the Passat has a pretty significant rear brake bias (they're used more heavily than the front under light to moderate braking). The fronts are usually good for quite a long time unless you're abusing the hell out of your car. Go out on a road with no traffic and stop using the parking/emergency brake instead of the brake pedal. Note that you don't have to yank the emergency brake with all your might to do this, a reasonably gentle stop will be fine. If you still have the warped-rotor feeling, your rear rotors definitely have issues (but this does not rule out your fronts). If you don't have the warped-rotor feeling, it's the front rotors and the rears are fine. So, you can save a little only doing the bad (or worse) axle with new rotors and pads.

As long as your tires have the state-mandated tread depth and I think no sidewall damage, they should pass a state inspection. Regardless of how bad the cupping is, you should not replace your tires before you have determined with 100% certainty why all four of your tires have gotten screwed up, and fixed that. If you need to replace the tires now because they're that bad, well then, you need to figure that out right now. Otherwise you're just pissing away money on new tires that you'll ruin too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd get an alignment first - $80 to $90.

Then I'd do the rear brakes with new rotors and pads. You can get the parts from www.getcoolparts.com for ~$80. Check the pad thickness. If they are getting thin, then you need to do then soon anyways (may not pass inspection). Fronts will cost a bit more, but I think the warped rotor issue is more prevalent for the rears, so just do those first (unless the pads are really thin).

If the alignment holds, the cupping will go down and in 5K - 10K miles the tires will be much smooth riding. Probably won't get worse than they are now. While you are having the alignment done, they should check all the other suspension components to make sure they are OK.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Agree with grommit and jyoung8607. Get your alignment done at a good indy shop (not a tire shop) that knows what to look for in the front suspension. Do you have slight vibration or movement back and forth in the steering wheel on very light braking. That's a sign of warped front rotors. Also try the parking brake test that jyoung suggests for warped rear rotors.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
im in the same situation
new turbo, or new clutch? both ~$1500, both pretty dead. btw im a poor college kid

i would get the brakes

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dirty Dan said:
im in the same situation
new turbo, or new clutch? both ~$1500, both pretty dead. btw im a poor college kid
Don't have to think very hard about this one. Your car will still move with a hurting turbo, I believe, and not so much if your clutch goes out. If you do the turbo first and get back some engine power you were missing, that'll just finish off what's left of your clutch. Clutch first.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Brakes. :thumbup: I'll second www.getcoolparts.com for great prices and price matching if you find an item cheaper. Plus free shipping on purchases over $50. I've had good luck with them, that is why I'm giving them props.

Tires you can deal with. Burnouts.... lots of burn outs. Rotate tires and repeat. :D :D :lol: Then they'll be worn evenly.... kidding of course. :evil:

-Cody

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kenblasko said:
Agree with grommit and jyoung8607. Get your alignment done at a good indy shop (not a tire shop) that knows what to look for in the front suspension. Do you have slight vibration or movement back and forth in the steering wheel on very light braking. That's a sign of warped front rotors. Also try the parking brake test that jyoung suggests for warped rear rotors.
What classifies as an indy shop? Local mechanic? Mom n' pop place? Body shop?
I figured a tire shop would be more proficient:confused:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
R36Dreams said:
What classifies as an indy shop? Local mechanic? Mom n' pop place? Body shop?
I figured a tire shop would be more proficient:confused:
I'm refering to inspecting front end not only aligning it. By Indy I mean a local garage (not dealer primarily due to cost of repair) whose primary business it to perform mechanical work on cars (VW experience prefered by not necessary for front end work). Could be local mechanic who also performs state inspections or mom n' pop garage. Here's my mom n' pop Indy. I don't trust tire shops to inspect and diagnose front end problems. I don't know who inspects and what is inspected for VA state inspection but in PA it a fairly thorough mechanical inspection of the front end and virtually all Indy inspect for PA state inspection. Even if VA is different than PA, an Indy should be able to tell you whether your car will pass state inspection. I am not sure all tire shops can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts