Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
man, I use ngk, prety reliable and very cheap. it depends on your application, for stock and chipped bkr6e, for more prformance go cooler bkr7e,
they about 2 bucks each on sparkplugs.com

·
Registered
442 Posts
None of these: the reason? I read on this forum that the best plug is the copper core ones(ask at the dealer which one to use)The copper core disperses the heat quicker / better,I asked if they had a copper core plug listed for the 1.8t and they had,the parts guy said they don't last as long but you can have four of them for the price of one platinum!I know I'm going to try them next time.16 new copper core plugs for the price of 4 platinum,Hmmm!I bet four sets would outlast the 1 set of platinums too!!!!

Cheers Calum:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
None of these: the reason? I read on this forum that the best plug is the copper core ones(ask at the dealer which one to use)The copper core disperses the heat quicker / better,I asked if they had a copper core plug listed for the 1.8t and they had,the parts guy said they don't last as long but you can have four of them for the price of one platinum!I know I'm going to try them next time.16 new copper core plugs for the price of 4 platinum,Hmmm!I bet four sets would outlast the 1 set of platinums too!!!!

Cheers Calum:thumbup:
ngk bkr7e are coper and they cost less then 2bucks...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use NGK, the same that came in my 2000 B5 stock. Great power, great longevity, and great value!

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
My apologies 390,I didn't read it thoroughly enough!GLX4mo ,these plugs are listed ,if you follow the link for the BKR6E plugs it's in the list applications.I made the point of asking the parts guy and he looked it up on a chart on the wall and verified it!They also list the audi a4 1.8t and I can't see Audi using inferior parts that aren't designed for the vw(audi) combustion chamber to maximise performance!
Cheers Calum

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
For an '04 Passat, you should REALLY be using the stock NGK PFR6Q's. While other plugs may work (Denso's, Bosch, other NGK's, even AutoLites), many folks on the board have had decidedly mixed results in AWM engines with anything but the stock NGK's.

Personally, I think that since the plugs only need replacement every 40k, even the stock plugs really don't cost that much.

SirWired

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm not saying they can't be used, they just aren't the best style of plug to be used for this application.

I used the NGK BRK6EQUP on my V6 which are the OEM type plugs (6.96 each at Advanced Auto). They have the multi-ground electrode and are designed to work on VW's/Audi's.

Single electrode plugs are not designed to be used on these engines, therefore will not last as long and perform as well. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I used Bosch Platinum +4's in my V6 4Motion when I replaced them at 40k miles. The stock NGK's looked fine - just that dusty tan/grey coating.
I am staying with NGK's in my W8, though I went with Iridiums.
OEM NGK's come in a package of 10 only (BKR6KUE) - Iridium IX's (BKR6EIX11)come in packages of 4. So, while they are more expensive each (6.58 v 5.56) a set of 8 actually cost less...

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I'm not saying they can't be used, they just aren't the best style of plug to be used for this application.

I used the NGK BRK6EQUP on my V6 which are the OEM type plugs (6.96 each at Advanced Auto). They have the multi-ground electrode and are designed to work on VW's/Audi's.

Single electrode plugs are not designed to be used on these engines, therefore will not last as long and perform as well. You get what you pay for.
I used Bosch Platinum +4's in my V6 4Motion when I replaced them at 40k miles. The stock NGK's looked fine - just that dusty tan/grey coating.
I am staying with NGK's in my W8, though I went with Iridiums.
OEM NGK's come in a package of 10 only (BKR6KUE) - Iridium IX's (BKR6EIX11)come in packages of 4. So, while they are more expensive each (6.58 v 5.56) a set of 8 actually cost less...
Folks, the OP has a 1.8T, not a V6. THE plug to use here is the OEM PFR6Q.

SirWired

·
Registered
509 Posts
Folks, the OP has a 1.8T, not a V6. THE plug to use here is the OEM PFR6Q.

SirWired
I understood that. Regardless of engine type, I was just trying to make the point not to use the cheaper $2 plugs in VW engines.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
to all of you who said that ngk are bad: most of you have are chipped,you have to change you sparkplug gap, how you planing to do it with the multiple ground ? and also you should use cooler range plugs which would be bkr7e
I once used bosh platinum and the ceramic piece in the midle broke off and messed up one of my valves. cost me 3 hours of work and 300bucks head rebuilt and I was pappy that it didn't kill my 1200$ turbo on the way out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts