Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering either PBR's/Axxis Ultimate pads, or their Metal Master pads. My driving consists of only street driving, with the occasional blast down a mountain road. The ultimate pads strike me as more of a performance pad and thought that the Metal Masters would suit me better. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with either one?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have had the Metal Masters for about 2 weeks now. The break in period(100 miles) was a little scary but these pads rock now. They break well cold and even better warm. No squeel and after 2 weeks, no sign of brake dust.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm currently using Axxis Ultimate pads on my W8 and they are the best I've run as a street/track pad. The cold braking is excellent and when they warm up, the stock brakes stop on a dime!! They produce a little more dust than the Metal Masters, but less than the stock Pagid Blacks and Jurid pads used as OEM from VW.

Now if you want a good dustless pad which has good cold braking bite and gets better when they warm up, go with Metal Masters. Remember, you should change your rotors when you make the step up as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i talked to a guy at zechenhaus racing and he said the metal masters are of the old school design (first made almost 15 years ago) and are a little outdated, and for the price you're better off going with the Deluxe Pads (they're cheaper and better, but won't last as long as the metal masters). As far as stopping power and all that the Ultimates were his top choice. I got the ultimates on yesterday (bought them from ECS Tuning) and they already feel awesome... i just have to be pretty careful to break them in right.

just what i've heard, hope it helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bombay83 said:
i talked to a guy at zechenhaus racing and he said the metal masters are of the old school design (first made almost 15 years ago) and are a little outdated, and for the price you're better off going with the Deluxe Pads (they're cheaper and better, but won't last as long as the metal masters). As far as stopping power and all that the Ultimates were his top choice. I got the ultimates on yesterday (bought them from ECS Tuning) and they already feel awesome... i just have to be pretty careful to break them in right.

just what i've heard, hope it helps
MetalMasters.

You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
David Zeckhausen is a great guy and hipped me to the Axxis Ultimate pads. Hopefully Bombay83 he schooled you on changing to an aggressive pad all the way around instead of just doing the fronts.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bombay83 - what are you doing for break-in? I followed the aggressive directions on the zeckhausen site. Got to see them smoke and stink in the garage. Only driven 30 miles on them so far though...

·
Registered
358 Posts
ditto, i'm going with the same directions - follows my everyday driving style anyway :lol:

swami - yea the backs should be going in next weekend or the one after, i had to fast track the fronts because they were super low. thanks for the heads up!
-- Eric

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Assuming I have the A8 brake upgrade, how many miles of life (as a semi aggressive driver) should I expect with the Axis and Metal Masters.

I drive almost entirely street, probably 95% street, 5% freeway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
mackman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing