Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im a new member to club B5, and it has been a great learning expirence for me, anyways. Im 18 years old and im in the market for a Passat :lol: . Im not sure which Passat would be best for me, I like the 1.8t engine and the v6. With the 1.8t i can have lots of power (which i like a lot) but I have heard that the gearing isn't the best because of how high the rpms are in 5th gear at around 85mph. :shock: With the v6 i have heard that the gearing is better , but you can't make as nearly as much power. :roll: So what i am asking is what do you guys think is better to have the v6 or the 1.8t? Also what exactly is the top speed of the 1.8t and the v6? thank you very much for your time :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
You posted your topic twice. :)
Id say go with 1.8t if you want to do engine modifications. If your just going to change the appearance of the car go with the v6. Just make sure to get it in manual no matter which one you choose.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i think it's 135 mph or so.

as for the gearing, i have a 1.8t with tip and i can keep it in 3rd gear till around 80 MPH or so. you will feel the turbo lag if you have the auto (even with tip). if you're more into performance go with the manual.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. With the passat I would like to be in the high 13s area to low 14s. Besides tires and suspension, what major mods to the engine would be necessary to get that? New turbocharger? Also who sells good intercoolers for the passat? would i be better off buying a universal one, and getting custom intercooling pipping done, thanks for the input again

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have the V6 and it goes 130 before hitting the governor, i'd say it hits its cruising speed at 95 but i've driven it for an extended period of time at 110 with no issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts