Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just shopping around quick for new brake pads for my 1.8T 03 gls passat. I have ran into several different kinds like semi metal, metal, ceramic etc and just wondering what would be best for a daily driver. Through my reading I have also seen that several people recommend upgrading the rotors and getting larger pads - is there any need to this? Also, I dont think I need to but just incase, which rotors do you guys suggest as well? There are just stock ones in there now but dont know how big. My friend does the brakes on his car and he is going to swing by sometime next week to help me out.

I am also curious which brands to stay away from (I assume theres a company to brake pads like there is fram to oil filters).

Thanks

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Metallic or Semi Metallic pads wear rotors faster and are likely to be noisy, so I would say no for the DD.
Ceramic is low dust and are rotor friendly. PBR Deluxe are one of the popular pads here.
Rotors should be replaced when you do the pads.
Stock rotors and pads are more than fine for a DD. In fact I think the Passat's brakes are one of it's better features. So just go with stock Meyle SOLID coated rotors. Slots and holes do nothing for you, but look cool.

Make sure you and your friend understand the Passat rear brakes before starting this project. They take a special tool to turn the pistons back into the calipers or you Will destroy the calipers.
You can get the tool form most auto parts stores in their tool loaner programs.

This is also the time to completely flush you brake fluid with DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid. This should be done every two years.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good man, thank you!

Dont ceramic brakes make a lot of noise though when they get wet?

EDIT: Just so I can read up on it, what is the special tool called that is required to do the rear brakes?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did some hunting around and have to say I am quite disappointed....

Ceramic pads for the front only are 120!!! Rotors are another 85 for the cheapest napa and autozone have (rotors from one, pads from another - saving about 25$ total by doing it that way). Rears are like 70 for ceramics and I believe 45 for rotors. Brake jobs really cost about 325$?!

Somebody help lol, seriously wtf. Anybody know where I could possibly order parts from and have the be cheap(er)?

· Registered
3,103 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.