Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying either an 2000-2001 Xterra or a 1998-2000 4Runner, those are the years. As far as price they are about the same. I like how both of them look and this weekend I am going to go test drive them. What are the pro's and con's for these vehicles and is there anything that I should look for and or ask about? Has anyone had one of them before?

TIA Josh

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
4Runner! although it does lack horsepower. Nothing a TRD Supercharger wont fix. I'm planning to do that end of the year. The TRD S/C for the 4runner is $1999, it's come down alot in price over the years. This is all assuming you'd get the v6 and not the 4cyl 4runner.

·
Registered
169 Posts
r8crx said:
I'm thinking about buying either an 2000-2001 Xterra or a 1998-2000 4Runner, those are the years. As far as price they are about the same. I like how both of them look and this weekend I am going to go test drive them. What are the pro's and con's for these vehicles and is there anything that I should look for and or ask about? Has anyone had one of them before?

TIA Josh
Man you cant even compare, Toyota is way way better. Its also much more reliable and will hold its value really well. Good Luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
r8crx said:

TIA Josh
Man you cant even compare, Toyota is way way better. Its also much more reliable and will hold its value really well. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the xterra have the same v6 as the maxima? I am leaning towards the 4runner so far. I know that the toyota will runn forever but the nissan v6 has also been proven to hold its own. the only thing that worries me about the xterra is the 4 wheel drivetrain I don't know how realiable it is. How much horsepower does that SC add on and do you have to change the internals?

toureag HA that's funny

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
r8crx said:
does the xterra have the same v6 as the maxima? I am leaning towards the 4runner so far. I know that the toyota will runn forever but the nissan v6 has also been proven to hold its own. the only thing that worries me about the xterra is the 4 wheel drivetrain I don't know how realiable it is. How much horsepower does that SC add on and do you have to change the internals?

toureag HA that's funny
Like others have said, deffinatly the 4Runner.

The Xterra has a 12v 3.3L V6 170hp 200 lb/ft Tq in NA form

There was a factory Supercharger available, but that raised HP to 210hp and 246 lb/ft Tq

The 4Runner on the other hand comes with a 3.4L 24v V6 rated at 183 hp and 217 lb/ft Tq

Like others have said there is a TRD Supercharger available for it, price is around $1999, and the numbers are:

256 hp and 267 lb/ft Tq

And according to TRD " The TRD supercharged 3.4L engine produces as much torque at 1,800 RPM as the normally aspirated engine does at its torque peak."

-Nick

·
Registered
182 Posts
My wife drives a 2000 V6 Xterra. It has been a great SUV. My biggest complaint has been the lack of power from the engine. While the V6 has a lot of low end torque, it is a dog when trying to pass on the highway. If you are leaning towards the Xterra, I recommend going with the supercharged model. I am not sure if it was introduced in 2001 or 2002 though.

You can't go wrong with the 4Runner. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. While the Xterra was designed to be rugged and provide "everything you need and nothing you don't", the 4Runner is going to give you a more luxorious interior and smoother ride, not to mention Toyota quality which is second to none.

I think that it is all about what you are looking for in an SUV. Test drive each of them and I am sure it will help you with your decision.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
my cousin bought a xterra and when driving it.... I didn't like it at all..... maybe it's because I'm used to the passat but compared to all the trucks i've driven, i just don't like the xterra, it's smallll too! boooooo

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Yeah. I think the biggest deciding factor for you would be what size you want.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
not to get off topic, but one truck that is always kicking around in the back of my mind is a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser. It was the last year for the 4.5L I6, put down 212hp and 275 lb/tq, also had solid axles front and rear, and availble lockers from the factory.

emmmmmmmmmm....lockers......emmm.......

:thumbup:

Price range is comparable to what your looking at, though obviously its older. And Gas mileage was not a strong point of the the big I6. I thinkg 13 to 15 mpg was the average.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Are you wheeling this rig? If you are into serious off-roading (not trails or mod bogs), then go with the Toyota. I had an '89 SR5 V6 (3.0) and was a very capable off-road rig specially with my mods.

If you're not off-roading the vehicle, just get the 2WD version and you'll save more money on gas and extra repairs, etc. Still I'd go with the 4runner.

For me, I now have a PIG. :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The 4Runner all the way. I know a number of people with them and they last forever.

TAckhouse1 said:
Here is my buddies rig, 1990 Mitsubishi Montero. By the way those are 33 x 12.5's on there.
That's why he's stuck.. :p

You gotta hit those holes like I do..then again I have 36 inchers on mine

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
nice rig!

yea, my buddy has stock ride and open diff's from and rear still holding him back right now.

he keeps saying some day. hehehe

-Nick

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
The 4Runner is available with a 4.2L V8.
That is the new 4Runner, introduced in 2003, R8crx is looking at 1998-2000 4runner.

Intresting note though, the new Toyota 4.0L V6 makes 245hp and 282lb/tq

Which when compared to the 4.6L V8 from the Ford explorer, the Toyota has more horsepower, and makes the same amount of Tq, but the toyota makes it at alower RPM.

-Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts