Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I didn't think 1.8T's had an EGT probe.
They do if someone adds one for an EGT gauge.

The thing shown in the left of the photo is the #1 oxygen sensor. That's the one the ECM uses to determine if fueling is rich or lean so it can make adjustments in an attempt to keep fueling optimal. Further down the exhaust (after the CAT) is the #2 oxygen sensor. The data from this second sensor is compared to the #1 sensor to determine if the CAT is doing its job properly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do if someone adds one for an EGT gauge.

The thing shown in the left of the photo is the #1 oxygen sensor. That's the one the ECM uses to determine if fueling is rich or lean so it can make adjustments in an attempt to keep fueling optimal. Further down the exhaust (after the CAT) is the #2 oxygen sensor. The data from this second sensor is compared to the #1 sensor to determine if the CAT is doing its job properly.
Kool guys thanks for tha info yeah car came with.

so this is tha wire that goes up to tha temp gauge it got melted to tha cat and now tha gauge doesn't work just blinks and doesnt even read exhaust temp. Do yu guys think this is tha reason why.. I put a short video of what tha gauge does.. thank

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
You don't think that I'll ruin it by splicing it?
Looks like it's already ruined. ;)

If you're lucky, the melted connector is the only problem and replacing it with a splice will get things working again. :)

If you're unlucky, when it melted to the CAT it also shorted a conductor to ground and blew the gauge. :(

Try contacting the gauge manufacturer to see if they have tech support available or if they can send you a copy of the install manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like it's already ruined. ;)

If you're lucky, the melted connector is the only problem and replacing it with a splice will get things working again. :)

If you're unlucky, when it melted to the CAT it also shorted a conductor to ground and blew the gauge. :(

Try contacting the gauge manufacturer to see if they have tech support available or if they can send you a copy of the install manual.
Well don't yu think if I blew tha gauge it wouldn't even light up or blink or what I really hope its not totally ruined that HKS egt is freeeakin expensive.. lets pray to the passatgods. Lol

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
For all we know, blinking is the gauges way of signaling a trouble code. We don't know for sure because we don't have the manual for the gauge system.

Fix the melted connection and see if it goes back to working. Note the polarity of the wires so you don't hook them up backwards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all we know, blinking is the gauges way of signaling a trouble code. We don't know for sure because we don't have the manual for the gauge system.

Fix the melted connection and see if it goes back to working. Note the polarity of the wires so you don't hook them up backwards.
Ima n00b but not that bigga n00b lol thanks steve:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bad news bears so I soldered and nothing it still blinks:(:thumbdown: looks like I'm in tha market to get a new egt gauge.. RIP HKS:(

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Before you chuck it in the trash and buy all new, contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. You might save a few bucks that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts