Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i sold the a-pillar pod and am doing a dual steering column pod instead. That means i need ANOTHER gauge to fill the second spot. At the moment i have:

Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, and Voltage in a DIN panel and Boost filling one of the spots that will be on the steering column. My options for the 5th gauge are as follows:

Air/Fuel
Water Temp
Trans Temp
Fuel Pressure (they list that as an option, but i didnt think you were supposed to have those inside your car...)

Im thinkin Air/Fuel even though i dont have a wideband because I have never heard of anyone reccomending water or trans temp gauges. I need another one though because i hate the look of the single pod on the steering column (i dont like the center one because it blocks all the important stuff).

Ideally i would like to get a BLING gauge there like the picture floating around, but i dont think anyone actually makes that :(

So from my options what would you guys reccomend?

TIA
-Jordan

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
voltage doesn't do much for the engine itself...only the battery and alternator.

water temp i don't find too useful either because you already have a pseudo water gauge on the dash. if it ever goes above 190, then you know you're in trouble.

a/f is kinda useless for the narrowband.

fuel pressure i don't think there's much of a need for, but if you did get one, get a sender in the engine bay and you'd be fine. most gauges, other than boost and volt use senders anyway.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
What about a EGT gauge, I know there popular on diesels, my cousin have three in diesel, two on each end of the manifold and one post turbo.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i think it would be cool to know.. lets you see if you are heat soaked or not
you can just check it via the vag-com. part of the point of the gauges is to know when the engine could be in danger. IAT's dont (directly) cause he engine to be in danger, but if the water or oil temp goes to high, or oil pressure goes too low, then you know there's a problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
you can just check it via the vag-com. part of the point of the gauges is to know when the engine could be in danger. IAT's dont (directly) cause he engine to be in danger, but if the water or oil temp goes to high, or oil pressure goes too low, then you know there's a problem.
true, but the car comes with a water temp gauge, and he said he has a oil pressure and temp gauge already

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
voltage doesn't do much for the engine itself...only the battery and alternator.

water temp i don't find too useful either because you already have a pseudo water gauge on the dash. if it ever goes above 190, then you know you're in trouble.

a/f is kinda useless for the narrowband.

fuel pressure i don't think there's much of a need for, but if you did get one, get a sender in the engine bay and you'd be fine. most gauges, other than boost and volt use senders anyway.
So if you HAD to pick one of them though which would you do?

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about a EGT gauge, I know there popular on diesels, my cousin have three in diesel, two on each end of the manifold and one post turbo.
The EGT gauge is EXPENSIVE...plus i have to run a sender from the exhaust which seems like it would be a PITA...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Well i sold the a-pillar pod and am doing a dual steering column pod instead. That means i need ANOTHER gauge to fill the second spot. At the moment i have:

Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, and Voltage in a DIN panel and Boost filling one of the spots that will be on the steering column. My options for the 5th gauge are as follows:

Air/Fuel
Water Temp
Trans Temp
Fuel Pressure (they list that as an option, but i didnt think you were supposed to have those inside your car...)

Im thinkin Air/Fuel even though i dont have a wideband because I have never heard of anyone reccomending water or trans temp gauges. I need another one though because i hate the look of the single pod on the steering column (i dont like the center one because it blocks all the important stuff).

Ideally i would like to get a BLING gauge there like the picture floating around, but i dont think anyone actually makes that :(

So from my options what would you guys reccomend?

TIA
-Jordan
id say air/fuel only if its wideband not the nerrow bend(its point less)
otherwise i would go with the oil pressure guage

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
You already have some of these covered, but I would add gauges, starting from the basic 4, in the following sequence:
oil pressure
oil temperature
volts
manifold vacuum (V6) or turbo boost (1.8T)
ATF temperature

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You already have some of these covered, but I would add gauges, starting from the basic 4, in the following sequence:
oil pressure
oil temperature
volts
manifold vacuum (V6) or turbo boost (1.8T)
ATF temperature
why does everyone think voltage is so important???

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
So if you HAD to pick one of them though which would you do?
what mods do you have? if you've got a big turbo, or you're pushing your turbo to the limit then wideband a/f and egt would be good. but if you don't wanna get those, then water temp, and only because water pumps have a tendancy to break with those flimsy plastic impellers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts