Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie, so any advice is greatly appreicated...

I have an 03'4Mo with DD Monsoon. And I want to add navigation. I am deciding between these options.

1) MFD G or GX - My feeling on it's pros are that it's cheaper (I can probably get the whole package for about 1000-1200) and will look great as it's OEM and my steering wheel controls will still work. The cons are that it will most likely be used, warrantyless, unfixable if it breaks, and I'm not sure who I can get to install it.

2) Kenwood Excelon DDx7015 / KNA DV3100 - this is a brand new double din unit with a 6.5 inch touch screen and cd/dvd player in the head unit plus a dvd-rom navigation unit for the trunk. Pros - new, 2 year warranty, touch screen, dvd - Cons - expensive (looks like it will be about 3 K total), I'm worried about theft.

3) Piioneer AVIC-N1 - which I just discovered on this forum - all in one single din radio, cd and navi unti. Pro-s same as Kenwood, plus cheaper. Cons - probably even easier to steal.

Anyway, any inupt would be greatly appreicated. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on the theft.

I actually didn't start to worry about it until I saw the discussion of the Pioneer head unit. Maybe I was just being paranoid.

But beyond that, any thoughts, insight, opinions as to the three options I detailed above (or any other systems you think I should consider) would be greatly appreicated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll admit I am a real cheap bastard, but I am really happy with my Garmin iQue 3600. Its a combo palm and gps unit. Its about $450 for the unit, $50 for the car mount, and $50 for a 256mb sd card if you need alot of maps. Advantages:

1) Cheapest navigation system with spoken directions I have seen
2) Large color touch screen
3) Doubles as a 200mhz palm os5 handheld
4) Put it in your pocket when you leave the car and it'll never get stolen
5) With a big storage card it can also be a car/pocket entertainment system. I usually have 100mb worth of music, a 30 minute tv show, and maps of 2 major metropolitan cities on my 256mb card at any given moment.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Actually, I have been researching nav extensively for the past couple of weeks and Kenwood has the biggest database. I personally like the pioneer for the cost and the features.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just bought an IPAQ 2215 + 256SD card + Tomtom bluetooth GPS receiver + tomtom USA software. Total is about $666 shipped (still waiting for it). For this kind of price range, I get Navagation + full functioning PDA. Oh yeah, the tomtom receiver can be hardwired to the car.

I can't wait to try it out. :drink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone used the VW MFD? I think I'm leaning in that direction for cost, look, theft danger, and ease of installation, but am concerned that it won't offer comprehensive directions primarily, but I also must say that my girlfriend has an Alpine navi system and I love the points of interest and restaurant functions as well. Anyone know how the MFD rates in that area? Thanks for all of the input on this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had the VW Navi MFD installed for almost a year. It looks totally oem, and operates very intuitively. But the newer navigation systems do offer more options.

It wasn't that tough to install the mfd myself. I have since upgraded to a JLaudio amp and stealthbox, and Boston speakers up front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recommend the Garmin 2610 unit - I have installed it through the defroster vents to hide the wiring. It is as good or better than the OEM Navigation installed in my 2004 Honda Odyssey. Map detail is awesome and I can use it on my motorcycle too. (about $750 on ebay)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The Pioneer navi is great as well. I still give Aline the edge because it's WORLDS easier to use than the Pioneer Navi. I sold Pioneer for over a decade and their Navi for the first 5 years it was out and the Alpine Navi always walked all over it.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The OEM system in the Honda/Acura is Alpine rebadged for Honda. But I would still recommend looking at the Garmin 2610.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts