Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
ATW & AUG seem to be most reliable in terms of less crap going wrong. Of course, this is completely subjective based on reading thousands of posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
To all you V6'ers. Up at 6000ft where I live, a stock 1.8t (AUG in my case, & a 5 speed) can easily run side by side w/ a modded MkIII VR6 Gti. Or atleast I can. So IMO if you live at any kind of altitude opt for a 1.8t. At sea level I'm sure the 6 screams, but here in CO they're all bark and no bite ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
wizwagn said:
To all you V6'ers. Up at 6000ft where I live, a stock 1.8t (AUG in my case, & a 5 speed) can easily run side by side w/ a modded MkIII VR6 Gti. Or atleast I can. So IMO if you live at any kind of altitude opt for a 1.8t. At sea level I'm sure the 6 screams, but here in CO they're all bark and no bite ;).

The VR6 and the 30v 2.8 are 2 different animals with hp difference of about 20 and tq of about 30. Make sure you're comparing the right powerplants first.

Theres just something wrong in my mind about powering a car as big as the Passat with a 4 banger. Call it personal preference. Moddability goes to the 1.8 no question.
 

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
Joined
·
5,841 Posts
30vVT said:
Theres just something wrong in my mind about powering a car as big as the Passat with a 4 banger. Call it personal preference. Moddability goes to the 1.8 no question.
In the past I would have aggreed however after getting a 1.8T and seeing it pull away from a V6, I know the pull is there. However with all the sludge problems, I would prefer a V6.
 
Joined
·
8,184 Posts
Christian P said:
In the past I would have aggreed however after getting a 1.8T and seeing it pull away from a V6, I know the pull is there. However with all the sludge problems, I would prefer a V6.
You are going to make me cry...........All the things I read about in this forum. The V6 is by far the least amt with problems here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Spend the exact amount of money on the two engines; 1.8t eats the v6 alive! V6 has better exhaust note, though. Personally, I'd take a twin turbo from a S4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
wizwagn said:
To all you V6'ers. Up at 6000ft where I live, a stock 1.8t (AUG in my case, & a 5 speed) can easily run side by side w/ a modded MkIII VR6 Gti. Or atleast I can. So IMO if you live at any kind of altitude opt for a 1.8t. At sea level I'm sure the 6 screams, but here in CO they're all bark and no bite ;).
I constantly run my v6 with man. up and down to Virginia City, which sits well over a mile high, and my car has no problems whatsoever. It all depends on the driver. Can't work a clutch and know when shift, up or down, of course you're gonna lose. :biglaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
AUG, no mechanical problems yet so I guess its ok.

No oil burning either. Cam seals replaced under warranty, no leaks for the last 50k.
 
1 - 20 of 187 Posts
Top