Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
It seems you have 2 basic choices here. One choice is to go with the TT DV for about $35. The second choice is to go with a DV from Forge or Bailey or another after market company which will cost you upwards of $135.

I went with the TT DV when I chipped and have had zero problems. The more expensive DVs do not offer more speed or acceleration. They do claim to be less prone to breaking.

I figure I can buy 4 TT DVs for the price of 1 Forge DV so the TT DV is a bargain. Plus, I think it will last just as long as the more expensive ones.

Get the TT and use the extra 100+ dollars for another mod.

Slider.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I didn't want to keep replacing my DV with the tiny OEM one or the TT. I wanted something solid and reliable. I went with the Forge 007 DV. It's awesome. I have the APR chip and after I got it my stock DV died, the 007 is awesome and I'm very happy with it. 8)

Right now schmove is hosting a group buy on em, check it out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
778 Posts
TX5.5,

You can purchase the TT DV from these guys: http://www.vwparts.com/

therockshow182,

How is your Forge 007 "awsome"? Other than the fact that it has not blown yet, what about it is better than any other DV that has not blown? (Please note that this is not a put-down or an attack. I really want to know why the$135 plus DV is "awesome" and better that the $35 DV when neither provides a performance increase in terms of speed, acceleration or better gas milage).

Thanks

Slider.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have the same if not better response from a 710 TT OEM Valve, I run 18 PSI high in the Rs and it works perfect, never have to lube or rebuild or pick the appropriate springs...

In fact, my buddy just got a HotShot GT28rs Kit for his Nissan and it came with a 710 TT valve as a bypass.

I think the Forge is a great valve, but offers only the ability to rebuild when the O-rings begin to leak. Rebuild kits cost the same as a 710 TT valve, so there is a catch 22..... Either way your pulling it from the car, servicing it, or replacing it, and spending the same money....mute..

the diaphragm based valves have been said to offer better response times over the plunger/piston based aftermarket ones..

I never had a problem with my forge 007 and it performed the same as the day I bought it, however if I had to do it over again, I would save the 100.00 and get the 710 TT.

Guys with k04ed S4s run two of them and replace for good measure every year or 1.5....

BTW....you can find em for $25.00 if you look hard over the internet..

TJ

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
therockshow182,

How is your Forge 007 "awsome"? Other than the fact that it has not blown yet, what about it is better than any other DV that has not blown? (Please note that this is not a put-down or an attack. I really want to know why the$135 plus DV is "awesome" and better that the $35 DV when neither provides a performance increase in terms of speed, acceleration or better gas milage).

Thanks

Slider.
Because it made such a huge difference in my cars performance. Also, the fact its a lot larger than both the TT DV and the OEM one, basically making it more durable, meaning I don't have to worry about it failing and having to replace it. You can also take it out and clean it, Although I'm not sure if you can do that with the TT DV. I think those reasons constitute the use of the word "awesome" :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...thanks for the comments all :wink:
My main concern was which dv would last me the longest w/out me fu&*n' w/it every other week and for those w/apr what has worked out the best for them w/the least problems.
Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
therockshow182,

How did the Forge DV make "such a huge difference in my cars performance."? Does it make your car go faster, accelerate more rapidly or get better milage? Please operationalize your statement.

Unless the DV in your car before the Forge had already blown, I do not see how the Forge could make a noticeble difference in "performance."

Slider.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The valve itself will not improve performance at all, unless it is replacing a leaking/failing factory one.

In fact the difference in size has been argued to be counterproductive to on off boost response...

It's main function is to close and hold the boost level you are running, and immediately dump that pressure back to the intake when you lift off the throttle, to avoid compressor shock.

There is no gain to be had if you have a sealed properly working factory one, in addition, the smaller internal volume, and diaphragm based design is quicker to respond, and not prone to binding like the aftermarket piston designs.

TJ

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
TX-B5.5 said:
Ok...thanks for the comments all :wink:
My main concern was which dv would last me the longest w/out me fu&*n' w/it every other week and for those w/apr what has worked out the best for them w/the least problems.
Thanks
he wants the DV that would last him the longest without him f'in with it every now and then

i recommend forge for that reason

·
Registered
445 Posts
Truth be told, if you want the forge to run properly you have to mess with it at aprox 10k intervals.

The valve needs to be cleaned, regreased and the 2 o-rings replaced or at least inspected.

The kit costs as much as a 710n as I have said, and you will still be removing and reinstalling it.

I am not bashing the Forge valves, they are really nice and perform as advertised. I just think from my research, the 100.00 is better spent elsewhere if you need a replacement valve.

Way back when when I was replacing my stock one, this info was not available, nor was the 710n as I remember, that is why I bought the Forge. If I was in that position today, I would go with the 710n in a second.

They seem to have a high boost service of over the 10k miles service interval of the Forge, that makes more sense to me, plus it's easier to drop in the 710N, rather than the cleaning, lube service to the Forge.

You can't go wrong either way, but the Forge is not a lick-and-stick forget about it mod..

TJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.