Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
VR6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G60's were not very powerful, and a bitch to work on (but fun). VR6 is a proven engine now. More power, better powerband, etc. The SLC's also had some seriously updated suspension form what I remember.

They did have a 2.0 16V G60 Golf in Europe back then. You could always drop one of those in. Even had an AWD system. I think it was about 200HP if I recall.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
G60 is less reliable if not taken care of, my bud has one with 336000kms on it and it still runs great!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the G60 was the favorite because of the forced induction in terms of tuning. the charger on it was never very reliable, but there exist many rebuild shops as well as entire retrofit kits that replace it with either turbos or more conventional superchargers.

the advantage the charged motor had was that it could hold plenty of boost, kept the weight down, and could be repaired rather easily.

on the back end of that, extracting power from it was VERY easy and it could easily blow the VR6 motor out of the water with a much smaller investment (akin to the current 1.8T vs VR6 situation).

The VR6 engine was more reliable in the sense that it's tougher to break. However, in terms of tunability, it is, always has been, and will continue to be, a relative loser. It's much more difficult to extract the same level of power for the money from ANY naturally aspirated engine; and the VR6 is no exception.

even with the advent of the VR6, the tuners still preferred the G60 motor; it was just too easy to work with the forced induction platform, and far more cost effective. even if you DID have to replace the supercharger with something else, you still made more power for less money than any equally priced mods on the VR.

Aside from these points, the Corrado was never a reliable vehicle in general. They were plagued by electrical gremlins, cracked foglights, busted moving spoilers, doorhandles that snapped free, windows that clunked never to rise again, ignition systems that were moody at best, ignition switches that gave up, sunroofs that didn't work, and cooling systems that did a piss poor job of keeping the heat at bay.

Add to all of these issues the scarcity of parts due to its limited production run and low sales figuers, and you've got something that's a veritable money pit. even in comparison to all the other VWs on the market.

I've had more than a couple of these; and if you like your money, you don't want a corrado.

ANY corrado.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
TwoLitreVW
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing