Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have decided on finally dropping my car (As some of you might already know I drive a W8 ) with a set of coilovers. (Not that I have a choice in the matter :roll:) Now my question for everyone is which KW model would be best for me. The KW Variant 1, KW Variant 2, or KW Variant 3s? I am aware of the differences each model brings I just would like to hear from everyone which one would be best for me.

As for my primary purpose for them it is mostly for handling and lowering espesially now that I will be moving up to 18"s.

TIA

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
after talking to the people at Kw I decided the V2's were right for me. I had them set them up as stiff as the V1's, but i can change that if i want. I dont know enought about the bump, or whatever the extra setting is in the v3's so i decided it would be a bad idea to play with that. The only problem with the v2's for the W8, or atleast the ones that i got, is that you have to remove the entire assembly and get just the shock by itself, then compress the shock completly (w/ your hand) then turn it to adjust stiffness. This is a pain, basically starting your suspension install from scratch and you need to spend the $ for new one-time use nuts again. So basically, I should have gotten the v1's for the W8. If they changed the design and you can adjust without removing anything, or everything, maybe the v2's would be good for you. And maybe the v3's would be worth it if the adjustments were able to be made without removing everything or anything. I do like the idea of having more control over things, but right now, I love the ride of the car, i could handle the shocks being stiffer, but i am not willing to take apart my entire suspension just to mess with it right now.

BTW. i am running 18x8's on the v2's with about 1.5" to 1.75" drop. The car handles amazingly and looks awesome. With the drop i am running i do need to go into driveways one wheel at a time and go very slow over speed bumps otherwise i hit my belly pan. After the shocks settled i now have difficulty getting my hydrolic jack under my frontend, but if i really cared, 20 min would fix that. Adjusting the hight it really easy. Basically i dont think you can go wrong with either set-up, its just how much are you willing to spend, and how much are you willing to play with the settings. If you are going to track the car, maybe the v3's would be right for you, a more mild setting for the street and a very agressive setting for the track. But i think the v1's will probably be plenty for the street. The KW suspension is simply amazing

PS FK also makes coilovers for our cars, i cant talk to the quility or anything about it, but The Swami might be able to

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i thought that all of the KW coilovers could get the same drop, or was that two diffrent thoughts, get the v3's then drop it, :???:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
ok, i wasn't sure and just wanted to clarify, cause im not 100% sure that they have the same range, but they might, but if they dont the height ranges should be very very similar

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
v1,v2,v3 all have the same range of lowering. which is 40-75mm front and rear as stated on the website.

I chose the v1 since I knew that I would not be taking the shocks off the car just to adjust the rebound. I just knew I'd mess with the height for the most part. I :heart: my KW v1.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm currently running Variant 3's on my W8 and they are the best coilovers I've run. I could have gotten away with Variant 2's or FK Automotive KonigSports but my tuner gave me a great price on the KW's and at the time I took delivery the vendor only had the stainless steels in V3's. Also I like the fact that my rebound rate is different at low speeds, which eliminated me scraping mudflaps on the driveway or on speedbumps.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeffsu350, as for your setup I was aware you were running the V2s and was hoping you would chime in on this thread with your input so I appreciate the info. It's always good to hear from fellow W8 owners and their opinions.

Schmove, Funny you popped in on this thread being Me and Anthony (Vwpassatboy/Elitedubs) were discussing you and your setup before I posted this thread.

The Swami the same goes for you I remember you posting about the V3s and what you thought of them. So This was one of the reasons I felt the V3s might be a bit to much for what I wanted from the suspension being I wont be tracking my car. But after reading about the reboud rate and how you state its different at lower speeds eliminating scraping, has me thinking if these might be a good idea after all.

Jeff, I was considering the FK setup as well but really haven't heard of anyone riding their W8 on them so I really haven't looked into their setup as much.

Will, Let me ask you this would the V3s be worth it for what I am looking for or should I just look between the V1&2s?

Another question is in regards to adjusting the stiffness. I saw Jeff state something in regards to having to remove the shock in order to readjust. I take it this is still the same way or have they come up with a better solution? IF not then I could see the V2or3s being somewhat of a waste of the extra cash what do you all think?

·
Registered
493 Posts
schmove said:
I chose the v1 since I knew that I would not be taking the shocks off the car just to adjust the rebound. I just knew I'd mess with the height for the most part. I :heart: my KW v1.
Ditto. Although I've been wanting to drop mine another 1/2" or so and can't seem to find the time.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I just got off the phone with Pat from Pro-Imports and placed the order for the KW Variant 1s. I felt these were the best setup for me being I don't see myself ever tracking the car and from people have told me it is a major pain in the ass to try and adjust these.

Now hopefully, these will show up before Highpoint GTG so I could have my baby slammed. :nervous:

BTW if anyone else is interested here's the site that they are holding the Group buy on.Pro-Imports

Larry

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hey great to know that there is another 02 silver modded passat in NYC...I never see any hooked up b5.5's around...I just picked up a set of Koni coils for my baby and I'm waiting on them to arrive for me to put them in...I'm also running 18x8 in the front and 9.5 in the rear... :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wicked a2 said:
Hey great to know that there is another 02 silver modded passat in NYC...I never see any hooked up b5.5's around...I just picked up a set of Koni coils for my baby and I'm waiting on them to arrive for me to put them in...I'm also running 18x8 in the front and 9.5 in the rear... :thumbup:
Have any pictures of the beast?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Wow, Pro-Imports is one of my local tuners. They are going to get some huge competition because another VW/Audi/Mercedes Tuner is building a new facility up the road. :thumbup:

The Variant-1's have a solid ride, and you will not be disappointed! Don't forget about those Control-Arms because alignments are going to be a PITA. This is why I upgraded Control Arms in the first place....

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Get the V2s. You won't know the greatness of adjustability until you have it. The V3s are silly...adjusting jounce, bounce, trounce, pounce, etc. independently is a wee bit much.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stealthx32 said:
Get the V2s. You won't know the greatness of adjustability until you have it. The V3s are silly...adjusting jounce, bounce, trounce, pounce, etc. independently is a wee bit much.
Originally I was going to go with the V2s but after speaking with Bel and a few other members I felt it would be a waste of money for them so I opted for the V1s.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Stealthx32, I kinda disagree. Being able to control rebound at certain speeds has saved my poor mudflaps from scraping everytime I go over speedbumps or up my driveway! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
Macabre
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing