Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, the age-old question. I have a 2000 1.8t 5spd and I am looking for a bit more low-end grunt and high-end punch. I am not a maniac, I will be more than happy in the 190-200 bhp range. I want to upgrade to be subtle and safe. I do not want to run racing fuel or risk damage to the engine/turbo.

So, as it stands, I am lookin at the $500-600 players, namely APR and GIAC, and Wett for ~ $300 + s/h. Money is a bit tight ATM so I am really more inclined toward the Wett for that reason. Plus I'll have the money for a new airfilter (just ordered BMC) and a nice Forge DV (or maybe BOV). With APR/GIAC the total cost would get close to $1k, and I'm really only looking to drop half that.

So, I guess what I am really asking is if Wett is okay for my needs, if it's safe and will make a noticeable difference. Any problems with it? Anything comparable in it's price range?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Wett + Shipping.......$340
TT DV.....................$35
BMC Filter...............$40
Total.......................$415

All that for less than the cost of one program from either GIAC or APR....Priceless
Well not priceless...more like Price=$415, but you get my point. I will admit that APR and GIAC are awesome chips, maybe even superior, but for the money you can't beat Wett.

Just my .02

Thad. :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thad - that makes a lot of sense to me. Like I said, I don't want to go overboard. My last car was a V8 with 278 bhp. I do _not_ expect nor want that much power out of my 1.8t. I just want it to have more pep w/o affecting anything. Wallet included ;)

Also, to D ZIGNER & A-Tiller-the hun - I have clearly stated my concerns and expectations. W/o saying anything else other than "go APR" (which is their motto, isn't it? :)), you simply come across as someone who has an APR chip and is excited about that fact. That's nice, but not useful to me in any way. I _know_ APR/GIAC are better products, but I see it as a diminishing returns -type deal. I don't intend to do any other mods other than beefing up DV, replacing vacuum hoses, maybe N75. Definitely no k04, no exhaust (well, that's I say that now :)). So I don't see how it could possibly be worth it for me. It's really a choice between spending $340 on a chip (+ other stuff), or no chip at all.

Do y'all think a TT valve will be fine in the long run for the 14-15 psi the Wett claims? Cuz a Forge 007/RACE is 4-5x the price.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Wett is certainly a great value and very reliable. I've got 115,00 chipped Wett miles and running great.
I also put on a TT DV around 25,000 miles and it did help. Still have the same one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
1. Yes, you will absolutely feel a differnce between stock and chipped, no matter which chip you use.

2. The Wett chip is the best bargain. As noted above, you can get the Wett chip, a TT DV and a high flow air filter for less than an APR chip alone.

3. I also put in a $35 TT DV just before I got the Wett chip (I already had a K&N filter). The TT DV is a bargain compared to the $135 Forges and Baileys. The more expensive DVs do not add performance in terms of horse power, boost or torque. I rather spend the $100 difference on something else.

Have fun with your choices!

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
I just ordered my Wett chip. Cost helped the decision,but I am really impressed with
the customer service. I should have it in Thursday,6/10. I will add the TT DV.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
DV=Diverter valve

I am sure you have heard of a blow off valve if you are not new to turbo cars. Well, instead of releasing air into the atmosphere a DV redirects it back to the turbo. At least that is my understanding.

Thad. :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, not so much INTO the turbo, but back into the air "intake" side of the house.
But all in all, the air the DV recirculates DOES eventually get back to the turbo (with a slight detour through the engine :wink: )

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Slider said:
1. Yes, you will absolutely feel a differnce between stock and chipped, no matter which chip you use.

2. The Wett chip is the best bargain. As noted above, you can get the Wett chip, a TT DV and a high flow air filter for less than an APR chip alone.

3. I also put in a $35 TT DV just before I got the Wett chip (I already had a K&N filter). The TT DV is a bargain compared to the $135 Forges and Baileys. The more expensive DVs do not add performance in terms of horse power, boost or torque. I rather spend the $100 difference on something else.

Have fun with your choices!
I have a Wett chip, actually two Wett chips. The 1.0 Bar and the 1.1 Bar. Right now I'm running a 1.1 Bar w/ a TT DV and a K&N. Techtonics down pipe and Jetex exhaust are coming on as soon as New Dimensions gets a shippment from England. W/ a 1.1 Bar I can hold 17 psi. 1.0 Bar did give me 14 psi easily on stock exhaust. The performance difference is amazing. The main difference between APR, GIAC, Wett, Upsolute and others is the torque curve, APR and GIAC are supposed to be smoother, the horsepower and torque figures are pretty much even across the board. Per Kelly at Wett the chip that I currently use gives me 207 hp 245 lb/ft, plenty if you ask me. (Although I have had a couple of K04 wet dreams)
Hope this helps you make up your mind.
P.S. Also, once you deal with Kelly, you'd know that Wett is the best bargain out there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a "ricer-mechanic" tell me not to get a pre-done chip but to put the car on a dyno and have a custom chip done. How do the "retail" chips compare to a setup like that?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your wallet is who is in charge, then buy a Wett chip.

Besides that gives you freedom ($$$) to replace many things that you must check after installing a chip. I mean a DV, N75, hoses, clamps, air filter, spark plugs, clutch, brakes ... :) etc, etc. So you can spend what you saved in those "extras".

Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.