Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Which chip is the best ?!

992 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Warped 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, just wanna say hi and hope everyone will welcome me to club5 ! I just got my first ever VW Passat 2004 1.8T tuesday. Couldn't wait to do my first mod to it. Planning to install the chip, but before I do so I have a few questions. Thanks for all the help, by the way, other suggestion to what i can do to my new ride is always welcome :

1) will the chip shorten the life of the passat or creates problems in the future ? I do drive this thing on the freeway at least 200 miles a day.
2) for those who had their chips for years how you like them, any major problems ???
3) how much better performance ? by the way i don't need numbers, i need actual experiences ...
4) what is the best way to do the chip, or which is best chip to get to keep my warranty.
5) I heard about replacing a gasket or something with the new chip. what am I talking about ???

sorry for the questions, but since this is my first passat i am such an infant ^_^

#2 ·
Well, I just recently chipped my 99 Passat with an APR. I have been very happy with it. It is so much smoother that the OEM! The more I have it the more I like it, except that with it being more fun to drive my mileage has gone down a little! :) My other problem is my first ticket I promptly received afterwards (ooops! :oops: ). Back to your chip questions, I did a lot of research on the chips before I got one (You may want to checkout a thread I started before I bought mine http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91017&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ). I found that it does not seem to decrease the life of the car and if you don’t step on it you do get better gas mileage. When you asked about replacing a gasket I think you are referring to the DV or Diverter Valve. The OEM valve doesn’t always handle the added boost provided by the chips. You have several options when replacing the DV. Some people have purchased the Audi TT DV and been very happy with it as it is designed to handle more boost than VW stock ones and with a price of ~$45 it’s not a bad option. Others have purchased Forge because they can be rebuilt, but they do carry a higher price tag of about $150. At any rate I hope this helps and please anyone correct me if any of what I said is wrong. Thanks!

#3 ·
Welcome!
Go with APR DPP(direct port program) No messing with the ECU done in about twenty minutes. Then you will have big :) on face :shock:
Shops run specials on them all the time.
$499 for 2 programs and free security lockout. You can switch from chipped to stock from cruise control stalk or off the steering wheel if the cruise control is located there.
Best bang for the buck :wink:
Doing any chipping can void the warranty.
Do not worry about DV on an 04 there ok.
APR DPP is the best way to go.........Enjoy

#6 ·
Waiyan115

Here is my two cents.

Only you can decide which chip is best for you.

Like tires, wheels, exhausts and brakes they all have high quality and junk vendors.

What you need to do is consider what will benefit you in your situation. As far as any warranty issues there is no way that we can say because what ever happens is up to you and your dealer.

Here is the short list of recommended chips.

APR

G I A C

WETTERUAR

NEUSPEED

I listed them in order of most popular.

If durability is an issue for you any one of the chips above will see you down the road many years from now.

Neuspeed seems to be the most conservative in their tuning and timing advance.

And truth be told most chip make about the same horsepower give or take a few ponies.

If you are going raise the boost please make sure that you use one of the approved synthetic oils after the first oil change.

P L E A S E adhere to the specified oil change intervals because eventhough the extra boost does not hurt the engine it does put a hurting on the oil and the turbo need the best oil it can get especially if your a going spin the turbine faster than stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.