Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Passat GLS and am considering the chip as my first upgrade. I just bought the car and am a newbie to this site. I've spent more time on these forums in the last two weeks than I have going to classes and I'm taking 19 credits (13 is fulltime).

Anyway, from what I've seen there are a few different ones that will work with the B5; WETT, GIAC, and something else I think. What do you recommend??

2001 Passat GLS 1.8T, manual transmission

~~ Troy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next question...

Where should I look to buy a chip? AWE wants 495 for the GIAC. I haven't had any luck locating a Wett chip.

And a follow-up...

Can my mechanic and I install this ourselves? He's more of a body guy, but could probably figure it out. What do you recommend? The closest AWE is about 400 miles away in chi-town.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the wett chip is the best bang for the buck, but the giac and apr will give you more performance. be sure to ask for a socket also, so you can swap in the stock chip when needed.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
the wett chip is the best bang for the buck, but the giac and apr will give you more performance. be sure to ask for a socket also, so you can swap in the stock chip when needed.
I doubt that. Most 1 bar or equivalent chip programs perform very similarly overall. Programs from vendor to vendor might have different shape of boost/power curve, but does not reflect overall performance. However, due to way the programs are written, each chips may feel different off the start or accelerating from 30 to 60 MPH, but that's about it, different vendor chips just feel different, but overall performance is about the same from the same old tiny K03 turbo.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
vaporinc said:
Next question...

Where should I look to buy a chip? AWE wants 495 for the GIAC. I haven't had any luck locating a Wett chip.

And a follow-up...

Can my mechanic and I install this ourselves? He's more of a body guy, but could probably figure it out. What do you recommend? The closest AWE is about 400 miles away in chi-town.
If you want Wett, go to www.elitedubs.com. They've got Wett as a sponsor and can probably help you out with a deal

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is a socket ??

VW soders the chip to the mother board , to make it harder to make the car go fast.

When you add a socket, you can plug back the org chip into the socket.

Think of it as if the builder of your house directly wired a lamp, you added the 3 plug socket so you could plug any lamp in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts