Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been beating my head against the wall :banghead: trying to find the reverse switch on my 98 (B5) 1.8T with FWD. I've looked in ALLDATA and it says left side of the transmission right above the left drive flange. There is nothing there on my Passat. The switch is a simple screw-in type with two blade terminals. I don't need a general description like "on top of the transmission on the left side", I need it pin pointed. Does anyone have an actual photo of the switch, installed with the connector attached? If not, then a very detailed description would do. I've been looking and feeling all over this engine and transmission and I can't find it :mad:. It's probably hiding in plain site, but I'd appreciate the wisdom if anyone knows!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A backup light switch would be for a manual transmission. On an automatic it is a multi-function transmission range switch, which controls a starter relay (must be in P or N) and the backup lamps through the transmission control module when in R.

98 backup lamp circuit.jpg

Hopefully you don't have to pay this much for the part, but this link shows what the replacement piece looks like. Everything I've seen showed it on the driver's side behind a transmission mount.

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen-VW/1998/Multi-function-switch-for-automatic-transmission--MULTIFUNCTION-SWITCH-TRANSMISSION-SWITCH/5135257/01V919821D.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts