Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the gf has a 99 Camry 4cyl LE. We replaced the compressor (and dryer) last year, cause that was seized up. There was still a leak, so she took it to a shop to replace the condenser (or whatever is behind the glove box). Worked great for a few months Winter came and now it's getting hot again. Lately, it just randomly stops working. The fan blows, but the AC light, on the button, will start blinking and then it just blows ambient temp air. If you turn it off, back on, sometimes it will work again, sometimes not. Sometimes it works all day, sometimes not. When it's working, it's ice cold. So, it makes me think it's an elec/switch problem, and I HATE tracking down elec issues.

I did Google some stuff and mostly what I found was something about a relay, which I already tried, but that didn't work. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
952 Posts
This may sound ridiculous, but have you checked to make sure that the wiring harness is clipped on securely on the compressor you changed? I actually had that happen once; it was on there, but not "clicked" into place so that it worked intermittently. Easy to check- I like to start with easy and obvious first. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna mess around with the connections back there when I get home. I also read that the "slip sensor" might be bad and by jumping those wires you can trick it into working. I've tightened the belt, but maybe I need to tighten it some more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.