Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm finally getting out of debt from some nickel and dime problems with my passat, and it's time to get rolling on some engine mods. Here's my background:

I owned a 99 a4 1.8t quattro with tiptronic shifting that was gutless as stock, but I put too many miles on it and had to sell. Since then I have had a few cars, trucks, and an SUV, but nothing handled like my audi. I had driven passats in the past, but thought they were a little gutless as well, until I got into my passat. It's indigo blue, 2000 gls v6 2.8 with a 5 speed, most options except leather (which I don't particularly care for). I took it out on the highway on a test drive, and when I realized how fast and smoothly I reached 130 mph, I decided it was the right car for me.

SO, now that you know the history, let's talk about the future. I have some more minor repars to make (wheel bearings, lower front grill from hitting a jackrabbit, bit of paint work on front bumber - also from that damn rabbit), but I would like to plan out this summer's paychecks to budget some engine mods. I have searched quite a few threads on here, but almost everyone has the 1.8t which doesn't help me much. I don't want to run 1/4's in this thing, but I would like a little more kick in the shorts if you know what I mean. I'm also not a wiz in the shop, so the easiest most effective mod suggestions would be appreciated.

Everything I buy will be ordered and done by myself, and I'm pretty sure there's only 5 passats in this entire town as we don't have a local VW dealer - so I can't really go to many people for help. That's why I am relying on your advice, so give as much as possible with as much explanation as possible. I am also very willing to do my own research if you can give me some sites that relate directly to the 2.8 and possibilities. If you could maybe point me in the right direction of online retailers, that would help as well.

Thanks for those of you who take the time to read this and respond. I look forward to a summer of working on my car for positive reasons, and will keep everyone posted with my progress and pics. PS - if anyone's in the Pocatello, ID area and would be willing to give me a hand or some advice, or just wants to shoot the s--t, give me a holler.

Thanks again!

Jim

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
since you had the a4, you should know about potential for control arm failure. there's plenty of postings right now on ecstuning.com having upgraded OEM parts for this problem. the v6 boys will hopefully speak up later, but there's a lot of basics you can tak care of.

first thing though, this topic comes up commonly, go through a few pages of this general discussion, there should be several postings within a few pages. then try your search function.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Welcome to the CB5,

To narrow searching tell us what you would like to modify, there are quite bits and pieces for V6 and few of us here that can help you out.

Regarding valance you should tell do you have B5 or B5.5 (>2000.5). B5.5 have kind of triangled front blinkers and kind of twin circle rear lights.

In meantime check this out:http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68918&highlight=
Check also B5s of the month

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. My passat is the B5 model, and as far as mods, I am looking for easy - medium difficulty level engine mods starting with the cheapest ones that will get me the most performance improvement. I am continuing my search of the forum as well, but I have to admit I am pretty mechanically retarded when it comes to this stuff. Thanks also to those of you who have websites with detailed instructions for mod installation, you have no idea how helpful that is to those of us that are just starting.

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cheapest mod you can do is intake. I would vote for EVOMS.com. They got a sweet design that could pass for looking stock if you don't know what your looking at. It cost $269. Then you've got exhaust....is your car a 4motion? If not, then your kind of stuck with Brullen, and a few other, just short of making your own exhaust. I made my own and used a Magnaflow muffler. I love the sound, You can go to Magnaflow.com and listen to a Golf VR6, it sounds similar, only the Passat 30V is a little lower in pitch. Um......Then you've got ECU chips, for the V6 your looking at $300-$400, I would go with GIAC from Wett, or PES-tunning. Supposedly Supremepowerparts.com has an electric fan kit for the 1.8t that they say will work on the V6, its $139.95, I don't know about that, you have to drop the bumper and radiator to install it. Sounds like a pain to do when your not even sure if it will work. There are a few Underdrive lightweight crank pullies available, they normally go 3-4 hp, and about $200. Then you can just do what JulianFang did and spend all your money on the Pes-tuning Supercharger, and start toyin' with the big boys!! It cost around $4000-$5000, depending on if they reduce the price any. But that is the ultimate mod for the V6. Look up JulianFang and go to his profile, then click on the link in his profile, it has pictures of the charger and a list of all his mods! Its BAD!!!!!! :crazy: Good luck, I've got the same engine, So I know it fairly interesting, If you got any questions, p.m., and i'd be glad to help you out. OH! you can also check your injectors, there are two types Blue and Red, the blue's are i think 24# and the reds are 26# or 28# I don't remember, your car may already have the red from the factory, mine does....that kind of excited me. Good Luck, hope you find what your looking for. And I hope this will help you on your quest! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
2.8lB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing