Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my "new" (2000, V6, manual) Passat few weeks ago.
Changed tie rods, filters, oil, tires, battery etc.

I'd like to personalize it a little bit, nothing too aggressive, want it to maintain the "clean look". Where should I begin? Any suggestions?

Interior is fake wood and that's #1 to go on my list... Want to put aluminium/chrome - where and how much??
Engine has 106k, so Auto-rx (two applications) will take place in the next couple of months... What else should I check?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Has the timing belt, idler & tensioner rollers, water pump, thermostat, ribbed belt, valve cover gasket been changed? VW maintenance schedule for a 2000 V6 is timing belt at 105k. Also, the "lifetime" tranny fluid and filter should be changed also if they haven't been changed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kenblasko said:
Has the timing belt, idler & tensioner rollers, water pump, thermostat, ribbed belt, valve cover gasket been changed? VW maintenance schedule for a 2000 V6 is timing belt at 105k. Also, the "lifetime" tranny fluid and filter should be changed also if they haven't been changed.
Dunno... bought it from a dealer, not a previous owner. I would assume timing belt and other stuff have not been changed... How much is that going to cost me?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Dealer a lot, probably $1200 or more for TB, tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, ribbed belt, water pump and thermostat. To get to the TB you have to remove a good part of the front of the car so most replace water pump and thermostat at same time. Maybe you can call dealer and see if they have the maintenance records. Where in Maryland are you? There's a good VW specialty shop just north of Waynesboro, PA where you can get the TB and associated work done for less than $700 (parts, labor and tax). Tranny fluid and filter change should run $225 or so at Indy shop. There are plenty of threads on DIY for these projects and parts would be around $500 for both projects.

·
Registered
27 Posts
kenblasko said:
Dealer a lot, probably $1200 or more for TB, tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, ribbed belt, water pump and thermostat. To get to the TB you have to remove a good part of the front of the car so most replace water pump and thermostat at same time. Maybe you can call dealer and see if they have the maintenance records. Where in Maryland are you? There's a good VW specialty shop just north of Waynesboro, PA where you can get the TB and associated work done for less than $700 (parts, labor and tax). Tranny fluid and filter change should run $225 or so at Indy shop. There are plenty of threads on DIY for these projects and parts would be around $500 for both projects.

Hello Ken: Will you PLEASE post the NAME and or ADDRESS of the VW shop you mentionded.. I only live about 20 or so miles from there..
Thank`s in advance
Steuart

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kenblasko said:
Salisbury MD - Eastern Shore.

I found ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit (Timing belt, Idler roller, Tensioner Roller, Water Pump, Thermostat, Accessory drive belt) - 250 bucks... Would that do the trick? What's your guestimate on labor?

Any special tranny fluid? Seems like VW has everything special (just bought some PS fluid...every other car uses a $2.5 per gallon, VW needs mineral based - 20 bucks for liter...)

·
Registered
539 Posts
You might want to go online or call ECS Tuning to get the timing belt rebuild kit at a better price than you are likely to find at most places.
If the shocks are original you can upgrade the handling/ride by swapping those out. The fronts are involved but the rears are really easy and only take about 30 minutes to change. The motor mounts might be getting a little soft at the milage on the car.
If you have any kind of friendly relationship with the service department of a VW dealership they can take the VIN and check to see what warranty work and recalls have been done to the car. Even if you don't, it wouldn't hurt to ask the local dealership service dept. to see if they'll pull the report for you.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I found ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit (Timing belt, Idler roller, Tensioner Roller, Water Pump, Thermostat, Accessory drive belt) - 250 bucks... Would that do the trick? What's your guestimate on labor?
Yes, those parts plus antifreeze and you may want to replace the tensioner at $100 so total from ECS would be about $355 plus probably $20 for antifreeze. IIRC, parts at Denny's garage (link in my previous post) was about $430 and $224 for labor plus PA sales tax. So for me it wasn't worth the hassle to buy the parts online for maybe $65 savings and do the work myself for another $230 in savings. IIRC, there are places online that you can rent the special tools to do the TB for $35 (plus I assume shipping back and forth) and a healthy deposit. I believe some members have changed the TB without the special tools.
Any special tranny fluid? Seems like VW has everything special (just bought some PS fluid...every other car uses a $2.5 per gallon, VW needs mineral based - 20 bucks for liter...)
Yes, I'm going to use Pentosin ATF1 for about $10 to $12 per liter online. Other members have recommended Redline d4.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

all these things... lot of money :banghead:
but i assume, it better to change than to worry...:hmmm:

got a car for 5800, put more than a G already... still need to pay the tax and tags... uf uf...
and it seems like there will be another G for TB and tranny fluid...
well...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since the car is a manual I wouldn't worry about the tranny fluid. As long as the tranny hasn't been abused there is no need to change the fluid, and if it has been abused... well, save your money and hope you'll only have to deal with a clutch down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts