Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out my stock, non-monsoon radio just now and saw that the antenna plug is different than the one supplied with my XM Commander's FM modulator. Is there somewhere else farther into the dash where this the standard antenna cable can plug into?

I'm working on the car downstairs right now (1:10pm, PST, on 18 JUN 04) and hope you guys can help so I can get my XM installed this afternoon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys! I finished installing it late yesterday. Ended up putting the XM Commander's display in the ashtray similar to gordy's install. His install looks cleaner though. Here are a couple pics of the install...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paradigm said:
Looks nice!

Did you have to take the entire center console out to get the ashtray out? Or is there a way to get the ashtray area out by itself?
Yeah, for my 99' model the center console is actually two pieces but it looks like just big piece. It's very easy and quick to disassemble. First you have to remove two bolts (8mm, I think) on the left and right of the center console located at the base of the shifter. To get to these bolts you have to slide both seats all the way back, and pop out the tiny, oval shaped, plastic pieces that cover the 8mm bolts. Next, you need to remove three larger bolts. The first of these bolts is located directly under the rubber mat of the storage space below the armrest. The last two bolts are under the rear ashtray. Just pull out the rear ashtray as if you're going to empty it and engage the rear cupholders as if you're going to place a drink there. The two bolts should be directly visable. At that point, you can lift up on the armrest which should disengage the rear portion of the center console from the front portion. You don't need to pull off the rear part of the console, just more it about an inch or two towards the rear. Then you should be able to slide out the front portion of the center console. Disconnect the two harnesses that connect to the ashtray. The ashtray can be snapped out of the center console and trimmed to your heart's desire. You can actually salvage the lighter jack and relocate it elsewhere in the car. I might put mine in the glove compartment so I can still charge my cel phone.

Here's the link to gordy's post with a link to his photo album which has some pretty good detailed pics:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80513&highlight=gordy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.