Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am going to buy an exhaust dump/electric cutout for my 2004 1.8t but I'm having trouble figuring out where I should tell the shop to put it.:mad: I need to pass emissions for inspection so I need the cat on. I was wondering if anyone had experience doing this or knows the stock exhaust system like the back of their hand and could help me find a suitable spot. I'm also guessing I won't pass emissions if I place it before the cat?:confused: Thanks

Here's the link to the electric cutout: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...QV8Ry2glVlrHG-6_pcy5_Pqum4jXu5rEn7hoCbonw_wcB

P.S. The size is also a trouble. But I'm going with the 2.5 just to be sure it will fit, it can always be welded:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Before you pay to have any work done, it'd be best to check with the emissions inspector to see whether they'd pass a car with any sort of exhaust dump installed.

Paying to have something installed that will make your car fail an emissions test is akin to "Take my money and kick me in the nuts and we'll call it even." :crazy:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
With the 1.8t, the cat bolts directly to the the outlet of the turbo so you won't be installing it in front of the cat.
From the cat outlet there is a down-pipe that extends down to under the car and has a flex-joint in it.
From there, there is some pipe and a muffler.
From there more pipe running back over the rear suspension and to a resonator then a short tailpipe.

What are your goals with this cutout modification?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What are your goals with this cutout modification?
A wild guess... noise.

It really depends on where you want it to be the loudest. Right under your feet? Then put it somewhere post-cat near the downpipe. If you want something more subtle, put it after the suitcase muffler, or where it would be if you remove that muffler. Wiring should be relatively trivial if you route it back through the exhaust channel up to the common entry points into the cabin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

As of now I'm looking to place it after the cat and before the flex pipe, in the downpipe. I've seen some vids on youtube where VW owners have put it there. My goals is to be able to be a testosterone filled teenager while also being quiet when I can. (sleeper status);)

I also think as long as i have the cutout closed during emissions, I should be fine since there is a cat and it is BEFORE the cutout, so emissions should technically be fine.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
I also think as long as i have the cutout closed during emissions, I should be fine since there is a cat and it is BEFORE the cutout, so emissions should technically be fine.
Well, that all depends on your state's inspection laws and the garage to which you bring it for said inspection.

It might be wise to install it where it isn't readily apparent.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
As of now I'm looking to place it after the cat and before the flex pipe, in the downpipe.
Be aware there will be a good deal of heat in that exhaust stream. Hot enough to melt things and burn things. If you cut-out mid way down the downpipe, pipe from the cutout down past the floor. There are fuel lines that run down that area of the fire wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts