Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is more of a creative question instead of a tech question...

I have a carPC which I built, and I am programming to control just about everything in the car, but I've kinda hit a creative block as to where to place it...

Anyone have any ideas? The dimensions that I require (mainbord, heatsinks, and HD's all on one chassis) are approximately 12"L x 14"W x 7"H
Wiring connections are on the 14" side.

I've toyed with the idea of removing the passenger airbag, but I'm not really keen on that since I would have to disable all of them and remove the module to keep the airbag alerts quiet.

Also, under the rear deck is not an option, the amp rack is there with 2 amps, and I'm not going through that again... Pain in the arse laying in the trunk trying to rivet the rack in place! lol

So, any suggestions would be helpful!

thx in advance.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sweet. I'm doing the same thing. What's your setup? I would not remove the passenger airbag.

At first I considered mounting it in the glovebox for a a number a reasons. If your PC is running hot you have the cooler vent right there that you can use in lieu of a fan maybe. There's a little bit of space behind the back of the glove box if you're keen on cutting it. Myself, I decided against this as the case I'm using is too big. I'm going to be installing my PC in the trunk (Intel d945gclf2, Seagate EE 80GB, M2-ATX-HV ps) but I know you want to avoid that. IMO that really is your best option because if you ever need to tinker with it, it's super easy to access.

Have you checked out mp3car forums? There's lots of ideas. If you're removing your stock radio and installing a touchscreen like I am, you may be able to do some clever tetris'ing to organize the parts behind it.

Anyway,
:pics:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went a little more "off the grid" than most...

I basically put together a regular PC (minus the case).

Intel e8500 3.0ghz processor, Asus P5???? something or other, 8 gb ram, a patriot wildfire 120gb solid state drive, and a sony optiarc slot load BD-ROM drive.

Made a chassis to hold it all out of aluminum. I can't really use the area behind where the touchscreen is going... I'm testing out different stepper motors controlled by USB relays for the HVAC controls.

I already had it set up for my old Jimmy, but that was easy, all vacuum controlled setting so it was a simple solenoid solution. Rotary cable dials are a little more involved. Problem is I kinda have to do the hvac controls because I've already visualized the BD rom going where the HVAC would be to make it an accessible disc loading setup. the plate that the bd will be mounted to will also have a USB outlet, and one of those multi card reader for sd cards.

Still a while away from being finalized, but it's moving along slowly.

Just a question, what did you use for the programming? I'm using the centrafuse SDK and making everything from scratch.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I went a little more "off the grid" than most...

I basically put together a regular PC (minus the case).

Intel e8500 3.0ghz processor, Asus P5???? something or other, 8 gb ram, a patriot wildfire 120gb solid state drive, and a sony optiarc slot load BD-ROM drive.

Made a chassis to hold it all out of aluminum. I can't really use the area behind where the touchscreen is going... I'm testing out different stepper motors controlled by USB relays for the HVAC controls.

I already had it set up for my old Jimmy, but that was easy, all vacuum controlled setting so it was a simple solenoid solution. Rotary cable dials are a little more involved. Problem is I kinda have to do the hvac controls because I've already visualized the BD rom going where the HVAC would be to make it an accessible disc loading setup. the plate that the bd will be mounted to will also have a USB outlet, and one of those multi card reader for sd cards.

Still a while away from being finalized, but it's moving along slowly.

Just a question, what did you use for the programming? I'm using the centrafuse SDK and making everything from scratch.
Nice. What are you using to power this?
I've got centrafuse, road runner, and streetdeck all installed and running. Obviously I won't be using all three at once but so far I haven't decided between centrafuse or road runner. Streetdeck is crap. I still need the monitor (Looking at 7" Lilliput or Xenarc touch screens) and a 4-channel amp for the speakers. When I have those, I'll be moving forward with the install and then thoroughly testing the two front ends to see which I like better.
If you can find a slim disc drive it should fit very neatly behind the bottom trim below the hvac controls. If the ash-tray cover is open there should still be room for the disc to eject. You'll need to fabricate a hinge for the trim piece though but it could be pretty cool. I don't think I'm going to be adding a disc drive, as I'll have all my music on my hard drive.

I've taken out the ash-tray and I'm going to be putting a few usb ports and buttons there. At the moment I'm working on a hacked up mouse. Left click for previous, right click for next, and I've made my own mouse wheel for volume control/mute.

But as for mounting, I think your only choice is the trunk because of the size of your case. Unless you're looking forward to some serious fabrications it's going to be tricky to get it in the dash somewhere. Especially for the desk top board you're going to have to take into consideration the air flow to keep it cool.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using a power stream PSTC-12500. Pricey, yes, but unfortunately with a desktop spec pc, I needed a big power supply. I'm just glad I didn't go with a moster video card... I would need at least a 6-750w supply :O

The trim piece below the hvac, is my cup holder. I need my cup holder... I've once passed up a good deal on a GTI because the guy took out the cup holders to put in a turbo timer. Fail... I need my timmies lol

I may try to rework the chassis setup, and lay it out on a wider and thinner platform. Then I can basically add a tier to the amp rack and just bolt it up underneath, the only issue I will have is hiding it. Right now the amp rack sits just flush with the trunk lip, so you can't see any amps. Now if I could just get my arse in gear and fiberglass the sub enclosure in the rear corner, I could get rid of the gawd awful hunk of wood the sub currently resides in now!

I got the lillliput, cost is decent. Seems to be pretty good when I hooked it up to my desktop, but the touch screen isn't as sensitive as say an iphone or ipod, but still good. I got mine for $80 of a guy in toronto, he was planning a carPC until he lost interest/funds gave out, so it was unused.

I'll get pics of the setup soon... Gotta find my camera, bb camera has some broken glass, so unless you want a kalaidiscope pic........

·
Registered
688 Posts
Using a power stream PSTC-12500. Pricey, yes, but unfortunately with a desktop spec pc, I needed a big power supply. I'm just glad I didn't go with a moster video card... I would need at least a 6-750w supply :O

The trim piece below the hvac, is my cup holder. I need my cup holder... I've once passed up a good deal on a GTI because the guy took out the cup holders to put in a turbo timer. Fail... I need my timmies lol

I may try to rework the chassis setup, and lay it out on a wider and thinner platform. Then I can basically add a tier to the amp rack and just bolt it up underneath, the only issue I will have is hiding it. Right now the amp rack sits just flush with the trunk lip, so you can't see any amps. Now if I could just get my arse in gear and fiberglass the sub enclosure in the rear corner, I could get rid of the gawd awful hunk of wood the sub currently resides in now!

I got the lillliput, cost is decent. Seems to be pretty good when I hooked it up to my desktop, but the touch screen isn't as sensitive as say an iphone or ipod, but still good. I got mine for $80 of a guy in toronto, he was planning a carPC until he lost interest/funds gave out, so it was unused.

I'll get pics of the setup soon... Gotta find my camera, bb camera has some broken glass, so unless you want a kalaidiscope pic........

Right. B5's have a cup holder there... B5.5s have the cup holder near the handbrake.

Is the ptsc good for vehicles? I've never seen it in a car before and I see it's rated for 6v-18v input but the car might go above that while you're starting. I'm not positive but I know there are some voltage spikes that you don't want reaching your computer guts. My PS is rated 6v-32v but it doesn't give power to the components until a few seconds after the car has been started.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right. B5's have a cup holder there... B5.5s have the cup holder near the handbrake.

Is the ptsc good for vehicles? I've never seen it in a car before and I see it's rated for 6v-18v input but the car might go above that while you're starting. I'm not positive but I know there are some voltage spikes that you don't want reaching your computer guts. My PS is rated 6v-32v but it doesn't give power to the components until a few seconds after the car has been started.
I think I have that covered -in theory at least-... I'm installing a relay inline with the constant 12v feed, with the acc ignition wire being the trigger. When starting the acc is off, and comes back on when the key turns back to the run position. This SHOULD work to eliminate any startup spikes, and the over voltage protection on the psu should not let any over current get to the pc. This all looks good on paper, so if you see a post from me down the road with a lot of cursing.... then you know it didn't work as projected lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts