Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I hang the engine using the overhead engine support from a knock sensor mount? Anywhere else?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
im not quite sure you want to hang the motor from a knock sensor mount i would use the hole on the front of the head with a tight nut and bolt and the loop near the fpr like rusty said

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rusty - I will look again, but I've never seen a rear lifting eye. Do I have to remove anything to gain access?

Void4114 - If I can find the rear lifting eye I will use that, but the front lifting eye is too far forward of the fenders to use it to attach the engine support.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Rusty - I will look again, but I've never seen a rear lifting eye. Do I have to remove anything to gain access?

Void4114 - If I can find the rear lifting eye I will use that, but the front lifting eye is too far forward of the fenders to use it to attach the engine support.
It's a thick (1/4" or maybe 3/16") piece of stamped steel, painted black, bolted to the head with two large allen bolts. It's about 1" wide and 2" tall, with a big hole in it. It's oriented parallel to the engine, i.e. longitudinal, i.e. like this | as you face the front of the engine. I don't quite recall, but you may need to take the top engine cover off to see it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think the boss at the front where the code is stamped is another spot?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Rusty can you lift the whole motor from there, as in hang from a motor stand.
I honestly don't know. The only reason I have such detailed knowledge of the rear eyelet is because I had to remove it to make room for my Cartech. :) I always kept it in the glovebox just in case.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I found it! The rear lifting eye is concealed by a plastic fastener on the fuel lines. Pull the tab on the fastener to the side, wiggle it up, and you reveal what is obviously a lifting eye. Since I'm not sure it will hold the entire weight of the engine I will run steel cable between the front and rear lifting eyes.

Thanks again!

It's a thick (1/4" or maybe 3/16") piece of stamped steel, painted black, bolted to the head with two large allen bolts. It's about 1" wide and 2" tall, with a big hole in it. It's oriented parallel to the engine, i.e. longitudinal, i.e. like this | as you face the front of the engine. I don't quite recall, but you may need to take the top engine cover off to see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts