Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to chip my car (-00 1.8T Passat Tiptronic) and would like to get the tip chip at the same time. Anyone know where to get that in Europe (Sweden)? dont want to send everything to US for the swap (cant wait so long).

/Bjornis

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Julian, they do not have any chip for EU cars I spoke with them million times in last 1 1/2 year result is ZERO- "send us your TCU" or even better "send us your car"(I am not BS they told me that).

Slight chance is MTM I heard rumor that they started to make TipChips 9I do not know of what kind-speedig up shifting or handeling torque)

There is PES dealer in U.K. www.nsracing.com and they are selling also GIAC chips but when I send them Q last year answer was NO; maybe now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nooo!

That sucks man. Whats the difference between european cars and us cars?

Thinking of ordering just the chip from awe-tuning and find someone that can do the switch for me (will not use my 50 watt iron myself :p )

Can i do that or will they say "you must send in the....."?

/Bjornis

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Re: Nooo!

Bjornis said:
That sucks man. Whats the difference between european cars and us cars?

Thinking of ordering just the chip from awe-tuning and find someone that can do the switch for me (will not use my 50 watt iron myself :p )

Can i do that or will they say "you must send in the....."?

/Bjornis
Ah, bitter questions. I tought at first same, but they do not send it just like that- they ask always for TCU, minimum. Only other chance is to copy chip file (to do that you must desolder it and read) and send them, and then wait what they will say. They need to make mapping of program and they cant do that without file. It is neccesary to compare US files and EU files (just like they do with EU and US ECU chips for Supercharger). When I was checking AWE site and list of Tiptronic identification #s I did not find mine, very close one but not same. Than I sent request to some US Co. that have huge choice of ECUs and TCUs and asked for US "twin" of my TCU (not mentioning that mine is from EU) they answered me that my TCU is from EU and that EU TCU and trannys are not comming to US at all. You can also check your tranny # and try to find same # in AWE list, but I would be surprised with positive result.
They have on list 2-3 Tipchips for German&Mexican Passats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys (especially Nenad who already have done the research so i dont have to)!

But I will not rest yet, sent question to some dealerships for tuning that might be able to help me.

/Bjornis

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Don't kill me now. :lol: Last year, someone from forum (member from Sweden, don't remember who) gave me info that there is Co. in Sweden making this kind of chips. I send them 3 mails and never got an answer. Since their site was on Swedish language, I erased it. Only thing I can remember was that Co. was seriosly in racing preparations of VW Golfs, not ordinary tuning Co.
Maybe to try on local browser with this kind of search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you are refering to http://www.dahlbackracing.se. If so i sent the quistion to them and they said (freally translated):
You do not need to chip the transmission, the ecu chip (their own) is adapted for a car with tiptronic.

Maybe there is a different programming in EU cars than US cars?
The only "problem"is the slow shift in manuall shifting. I havent feelt the geerhunting problems that other refers to, maybe i will after chip.

But with that answer from dahlback, I feel a little better. To my knowledge they are a really good company. I have seen their golf in action on TV, Wow, lots of smoke, that car can burn tires :bow:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yes, they are. We want to CUT SHIFTING TIIIIIIIME:cry: I know guy that knows guy in Austria that is chipping diesel Auto trannys but this is to handle big torque by reducing pover of engine during hard accelerating and WE DO NOT NEEEED THIS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts