Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Perhaps the housings have the same shape as the Hella projectors w/ H7 halogens? Just throw 'em in the oven and swap. :wink: I think good18t is selling them for $299 a set in the GB forum?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Oops, I lied. Its Cullen.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm thinking you could just swap your hid projector lenses for the halogen ones.

Please post pics if you do this. I'm interested to see the difference between the lenses.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I saw some HID retrofit on these projectors. May be the guy did not do a great job, I just don't feel the confident in it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think the housings are the same as the HID's, and the guts are too aside from the different lenses.

What do you mean by weight? The ballasts are strapped to the outside of the casing right?

As far as the retrofits, I think madigan had good success retrofiting the halogen projectors. I'm waiting for my kit, and I'll post my results when I install.

Andy, umm the Andy in HongKong, you can probably compare the two lights yourself I believe you are selling both of them. Post some pics of both. Again, I think they're pretty much the same aside from the lenses.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JokerUNM said:
What do you mean by weight? The ballasts are strapped to the outside of the casing right?
Yep, but the whole thing is heavy. A full HID unit weighs somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs more than a halogen unit.

Maybe I'll give this a shot. Andy (good18t) -- have you got a spare right-side projector? Let me know and we can work out the details...

wicked: sorry, I'm planning on keeping them one way or another. :)

Andy

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wonder why the HID housing is heavier than the halogen housing. Maybe the projector is different and weighs more...ballasts hardly weigh anything and the mounting bracket doesn't weigh a whole lot either. I did fit xenon's in my halogen projectors and I'm using a hella ballast. I tried to match it as OEM as possible. I will set them up just like the OEM HID's, with the ballast mounted to the rear of the lamp. I have the bracket, but just haven't had a chance to mount everything yet...I'm not sure that answers any questions but I will take a pic of my setup tonight, if you guys want to see it. I can even weigh it if you want me to... :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Where did you find the brackets? I was hoping to find the same thing.

good18t said:
saw some HID retrofit on these projectors. May be the guy did not do a great job, I just don't feel the confident in it.
Do you mean that sombody tried to retrofit the halogen projector with the OE HID parts, like replacing the lenses.

Or do you mean adding a hid kit to the halogen projectors, meaning moded bulbs?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
AJ (andy) If you are interested, I have a spare Passenger housing in my garage. If you would like, I can see about swapping the internals for you and see what we can do. Let me know what you want to do. And the stuff at the house is the whole lense, housing, etc. Complete... Id just need your headlight to swap out internals if you wanted that.

HTH,
Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts