Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the transmission oil on a 2001 GLS 5 speed. The drain plug takes a 17mm (I think) triple-square tamper proof male socket. I have tried several automotive tool stores and can't find one. Does anyone know where I can get one? TIA Ray

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The above are torx. The tool needed is a triple square

It is a 17mm. I got mine at the dealer for about $20.00 if I recall. #3357

I see you're in Forked River. I'm in Somerset. If you are willing to drive up. I'll lend it to you.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i just got another fill plug for a few bucks, and then used an OEM lug bolt with two 14mmX1.5 nuts, and twisted them together, using them as jamb nuts, and was able to turn the one closest to the head to loosten the tamper bolt......

keep in mint the OE lugs have a hole in the middle to slip right over the tamper...... :D

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I got one from NAPA. Had to call around and when I got there the guy was clueless, brought back about every socket attachment they had before bringing the right thing. FWIW, NAPA's catalog refers to this tool as "serrated." As I recall it was only a couple bucks.

However I'm not sure if something special is required for the "tamper proof" deal?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My friendly Snap On dealer has one for just $317 I think he can keep it at that price!! :???:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
IIRC do a search on VAG tool #3357, or ask to borrow one from...I forget who. AFAIK, it's a proprietary tool design, and as of about 6 months ago, my local mechanic told me Snap-On had not copied it yet. You can buy it for only about $35 from somebody else...forget who...wait...it's coming to me...

www.zelenda.com

:D

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
30VB5 said:
The above are torx. The tool needed is a triple square

It is a 17mm. I got mine at the dealer for about $20.00 if I recall. #3357

I see you're in Forked River. I'm in Somerset. If you are willing to drive up. I'll lend it to you.
Torx are 6 pt. Those are 12pt (aka triple square)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the good information. The lug bolt use is quite ingenious. I went to my dealer and he told me he could not get tools. Go figure. And I tried NAPA. He called two different tool suppliers and no one had a clue. I will probably take 30VB5 up on his offer sometime, and that was a great link to Zelenda.com. Again, thanks all for some good information. Ray

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Its actually a 16mm triple square, and has the indent in the center of the allen socket. Then you need the 17mm 6 point hex for the oil fill plug on the drivers side of the transmission.

And yes, www.zelenda.com has it for $35 and the socket is a 1/2" drive and the tool # is 3357. Just verifying the info above.

·
Never forgets
2,380 Posts
rfenti said:
I want to change the transmission oil on a 2001 GLS 5 speed. The drain plug takes a 17mm (I think) triple-square tamper proof male socket. I have tried several automotive tool stores and can't find one. Does anyone know where I can get one? TIA Ray
Can't be that hard to get off the drain plug. If it were, we wouldn't have the 'OH MY GOD I DRAINED MY ATF WHEN CHANGING MY OIL' issue pop up every month or so.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Can't be that hard to get off the drain plug. If it were, we wouldn't have the 'OH MY GOD I DRAINED MY ATF WHEN CHANGING MY OIL' issue pop up every month or so
Ironically, the Tiptronic, which requires special fluid, tools and procedures to fill, can be drained with ordinary tools. The manual gearbox, which requires no special fluid, tools or procedures to fill requires a special tool to open the drain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts